NINE

"Hey, blobfish

"Hey, blobfish."

Jin's nasal voice rattled my eardrums like an unceasing thunderclap, looking for any possible way to blow my top, but his efforts were all for naught as I saw him as nothing more than a thin air.

I drifted far away from the current time. My emotions were a jumbled mess, my thoughts were a swirling tornado that I couldn't seem to calm. What Taehyung said a week back refused to let me breathe in peace. He knew it. He fucking knew it. Those words kept ringing in my head like the note of a bell in obnoxious shrillness. I pinched my skin in hopes of waking up from this direful dream, yet that recollection felt too real to be unreal.

What had happened at that moment was a depressing tale that trapped me to live in a dreadful nightmare. It continued to terrorize me, which gradually molded me into someone else, someone who only knew how to hang her head, someone who only knew how to cast down her eyes, someone who only knew how to hide her face. I was a complete stranger who buried myself from the affairs of mortal life, a lone lamb who kept a thousand miles away from others. Solitude was my gratitude, and being taciturn and morose were my new traits.

I bore my feelings deep within, stashing them as best as possible that even my close ones couldn't unfold them. A fake smile displayed on the surface whenever Jisoo asked about my state. Jin, with no exception, did his damnedest to console me with his lame jokes which unfortunately went up in smoke to repel the typhoon. A myriad of invitations to hang out from Jisoo and my brother deluged me every day. They both became worrywarts who never got bored to bring my lights back, yet no matter how hard Jin and Jisoo tried to coax me, this so-called cage, at least it was what the two of them named it, would always be the best refuge for me.

My vacant stare fell on the rectangular device on the nightstand. Its black luster was faded by the grime, divulging that it had been neglected for a long time. My laptop used to be my best friend, looking at its screen from midday to midnight was my daily routine, but now I kept myself away from it as if it was an utter foe in my eyes.

I was profoundly immersed in thoughts, totally unaware of my surroundings until a small touch on my skin woke me up to reality. An elliptic leaf ensconced itself on my thigh, its jade green was fresh and spotless, but if you scoped it thoroughly, there was a shot-hole camouflaged in the cheeriness. Another shortly came with the wind and fell on the lost soul, covering the blemish as though tried to heal its wound.

The world was smiling brightly without any occupancy of gray taints, absolutely in stark contrast to my frame of mind. Luminous bars of light burst through the gaping window, devouring the somber cloak around me. The sound of rustling trees sang a melodious lullaby that made me want to drown into a perpetual slumber, laying aside the adversity in this transitory life. Right now, all I needed to do was close my eyes, took a deep breath, and...

"Blobfish, blobfish, blobfish." 

Jin chirped an irksome chant incessantly while creating a dimple on my cheek with his index.