Lunch at Nonnas

Sitting at their favorite table at Nonnas, they waited for their food. The place wasn't crowded, just a few customers and employees.

''So Lena... How've you been? How's your weekend?'' Kara asked, trying to start conversation.

''Well, you know, ok. Lots of paperwork.'' Lena replied, chuckling a little.

''Please don't tell me you worked the whole weekend?''

''Not the whole weekend.'' Lena mumbled, making Kara chuckle.

''You work too much.'' Kara commented.

''I know, you told me that before.'' Said Lena, rolling her eyes.

Shifting a bit and becoming serious, Kara asked her what she really wanted to know. ''But really, how are you? You left in a rush that day.''

Lena sighed heavily and leaned forward. ''I'm ok.'' Seeing that Kara looked like she didn't believer her, Lena tried to reassure her. ''Really Kara, I'm fine. I mean, this isn't my first break up.''

''I know that, but... it must have-'' Kara said, figiting with her glasses.

'' Hurt '' Lena finished for her. ''Yes, a little.''

''I'm sorry.'' Kara said sadly.

''Don't be. James.... he's a good man. We just... see things differently. It's better this way.'' Lena smiled awkwardly.

''Have you two talked since Friday?'' Kara asked softly.

''Not really. He did call, and texted, but I didn't answer. I already said everything that I had to say to him.'' Lena said and shrugged.

The waiter came and brought them their food. They ate in a comfortable silence, talking about frivolous things.

''And you Kara, how are you?'' Lena asked.

''I'm good.'' Kara replied, still eating.

''Well, I've been meaning to ask, but I didn't know if it was my place or not. I mean, you're my friend and-'' Lena rambled on until Kara stopped her.

''Lena! What is it?'' Kara asked with a soft chuckle.

''uh, Mon-el? I mean, I saw him at Edge's party fighting my mother, and you said you'd explain how he's back. I just... Are you ok?'' Lena asked.

''I'm ok.'' Kara answered softy, figiting with her glasses.

''How is he back? The atmosphere is still laced with lead.'' Lena asked curiously.

''It's a long story. He... it's a long story'' Kara sighed heavily.

''Oh, ok. It's ok if you don't wanna tell me.'' Lena mumbled awkwardly.

''No Lena, it's not that'' Kara said quickly, not wanting Lena to think she doesn't trust her.

Mon-el is a difficult topic to talk about. Someone she loved and lost. Someone she thought that came back to her, only to lose again. Still hurts, and it's not gonna stop overnight, but she is trying to move on. One day at a time.

''I thought he was dead, gone. I thought I was never going to see him again.'' Taking a deep breath, she continues ''Something happened, he fell through a rift, he was sent to the future. 7 months for me, 7 years for him.'' Kara says as her eyes start to water and her bottom lip to quiver.

''oh darling, I'm so sorry'' Lena reached across the table for Kara's hand and squeezed.

''He's married, and I can't even be angry because it's been 7 years for him, and she's a lovely woman.'' Kara closes her eyes to keep the tears at bay, and Lena gives her hand a soft squeeze to comfort her.

''I'm so sorry, darling. I'm sorry you're going through this.'' Lena said softly.

''Yeah. I'm gonna be ok. It's gonna take time, but I'll be ok.'' Kara said with a sad smile.

''Yes, you are. You're the strongest person I know. If anyone can get through this, it's you. And I'm here if you ever wanna talk about it.'' Lena said, giving Kara's hand a final squeeze and letting go.

''Thanks Lena. That means a lot to me. It's gonna take time, I know... but I'm trying to move forward.''

''You will. I'll be here to help you. Whatever you need. A drinking buddy, a shoulder to cry on, a clubbing partner, just say the word.'' Said Lena, making Kara laugh.

''I'll remember that'' Kara said softly.

''God! We really are unlucky in the love department.'' Lena says, shaking her head. ''I don't have any luck with men whatsoever. I think I'm gonna stick strictly to women from now on.'' Said Lena, chuckling.

''Women?'' Kara asked, eyes wide.

''Yeah. Maybe I'll be more lucky.'' Lena giggled.

''Oh!... I didn't know you liked women.'' Kara commented.

''Oh yeah, I'm Bi.'' Lena shrugged a bit.

''Oh ok, that's umm nice.'' Kara said with a soft smile.

''Yeah, well, when you go to an all-girl boarding school, you tend to find out things about yourself.'' Lena said with a chuckle.

''I bet.'' Kara said, shaking her head and laughing.

And just when the conversation was starting to get good, Kara's phone started to ring. A message from Alex, saying she was needed at the DEO. Lena and Kara said their goodbyes, with promises of meeting the next day for lunch once again. Lena then headed to LCorp while Kara went to the DEO.