Chapter 23

(Lunch Date)

Rashad

Women really do the most. Between my mom and Lena spending most of the morning getting ready for a FAMILY lunch date, we were almost late.

My dad made reservations for us yesterday so there wouldn't be any problems.

We arrived at the restaurant, maybe 10 minutes ago but my mom is fixing her lipstick and Lena is trying to do her baby hairs so you know how that goes.

"Y'all better come on now" my dad said as he got out of the car and I followed.

My dad and I walked up to the host.

"Hi, welcome to Uptown Café" he greeted, "table for two?"

"I have a reservation, it's under Leon."

"Okay...Lemar, party of four" he said as he found the reservation.

"Is patio fine or would you like to sit inside?"he asked.

"Patio is cool, man" my dad responded.

My mom and Lena caught up with us right before we got inside.

"Yeah y'all about to get left" I joked.

"Shut up" My mom said before rushing into the restaurant before me.

"Yeah shut up" Lena laughed.

"Hurry up" I said as I playfully pushed her into the restaurant.

"Rashad!" She laughed.

My mom turned around and put her finger over mouth, telling us to be quiet.

The music was loud inside of the restaurant and people were talking amongst themselves, nobody is worried about us.

We got outside and the host showed us to our table.

"Your server will be here soon, my name is Bryan and I'll be at the front if you need anything in the meantime" he said.

"Thank you boss" my dad said before the man walked away.

"Okay so you two are probably wondering what you're doing here today but I want you to know that what we have to say isn't an easy thing to receive" Momma said.

"Dang we just gon hop right into it?" Lena asked.

"Yes because this is long overdue" My mom told her.

"And we don't want you to be upset because it's not about you two but it's about the people involved" daddy said.

I wish they would just hurry up and say what they have to say. Extending it isn't going to make it any better.

Lena and I have both been on edge ever since they decided to stay longer than what they anticipated.

Are they moving here? Did they lose the house? What could it be?

"Momma, you pregnant?" I asked.

"Shut up, you know she went through the change" Lena said as he slapped me upside the head.

My mom furrowed her eyebrows, "Um excuse me? I didn't go through nothing yet, I still have a few good years left."

"Oh okay" Lena laughed.

"Yeah, Yeah" I laughed.

"Oh okay" she said again.

"Y'all about to make me slap the both of you" My mom snapped.

"...can't never take nothing serious" daddy sighed.

"So what is it?" Lena asked.

"Well...it's about Granny" she said.