Chapter 35

The next day

Lena

The barbecue is today and to say I'm nervous is an understatement.

I made Andrés give me a run down on everyone that was going to be at the barbecue before they showed up.

He didn't have much to say but he did advise me not to be telling all my business and he also said it's okay to not speak on certain things even if they ask me to. That's how I move anyways so we were all good in that department.

I decided to make hot wings and Mac and cheese because you can't really go wrong with that unless you just don't know how to cook.

Andrés picked me up bright and early because I wanted to come over and throw some decorations up.

The sun was out and there was a slight breeze but it wasn't too cold so we set some tables up outside in the backyard.

There was a table by the grill that was strictly for food and then there was space in the kitchen too for whatever couldn't fit out there.

His uncle said he was bringing a couple of coolers filled with drinks, dessert and all of the meat.

His dad is in charge of the music and one of his aunts is in charge of the games.

Andrés just got done power washing the patio and I'm just adding a few finishing touches.

He didn't want to decorate but I love decorating so I didn't mind volunteering my services.

Everything is pretty much done but this stair step isn't tall enough for me to get the other side of this banner up.

"Andrés!" I yelled but he didn't respond.

"Baby!" I yelled and he still didn't respond.

I let go of the other side of the banner and jumped off the stair step.

I thought he came in the house when he was done on the patio.

I looked outside and he wasn't there.

"Andrés!" I yelled again.

I jogged up the steps to see what was going on because I knew he could hear me.

"Andrés" I called out again as I walked in the room to see him laying in the bed.

"Yes Lena" he mumbled with his face in the pillow.

"People are going to be here in a couple of hours, why are you laying down?" I asked.

"I'm tired Lena just give me five minutes" he whined.

"You always say that and then you take two hours and..." I paused abruptly, "you're not leaving me by myself" I told him.

"You won't be by yourself, you know my dad and my uncle" he told me, "they love you."

I took a deep breath before turning my phone on silent and putting my phone on his charger .

I literally met his father in passing and that's only because he recognized me from some pictures that Andrés had of me. I used to always send him pictures when he was locked up and that man had the nerve to post them up in his room like I was his girl or something.