Chapter III: Traitors

"You acted like you cared about me and you know what's the worst part? I actually fucking believed you."

   (Yui Homura)

"I'm sorry Yui honey... but we need the money. Go off and become a good hero, okay?"

"Mom, wait! I don't want to leave you and dad....please-- please don't make me go!"

Feeling a cold hand grab me by the shoulder, I was met with the lifeless eyes of my new caretaker, the smile on her face evil as she pulled me away from the only family I had ever known.

"Come this way now, Yui Homura. I'll make you into a special hero-- a hero that Japan can truly rely on."

Despite the evil smirk on her face, my eyes lit up at her words, words that gave me hope for the future. Was this a chance to make my dream come true?

"I can become... a special hero?"

My eyes shot open as I swung my feet over the side of the bed, leaning on my arms for support as I attempted to calm my heart rate. It's been this way since the day I realized all the pain, torture, mind games-- everything I went through had been pointless. The Commission had never intended on making me a hero, but I was too young to draw the line between truth and fiction. Memories like these haunted my dreams every night, which was why I groaned in annoyance as I glanced at the clock on the wall-- 5:00am. 

I wasn't given directions on what my exact role would be in The League nor was I given a time to be ready. So for the first time in forever I was planning on trying to go back to sleep-- to give my body the rest that it deserved.

That was until I heard two familiar voices whispering outside of my door.

"Hey come on Dabi buddy! I just wanted to check in to see how the little chicky was adjusting. From what I gathered, she hasn't really been outside of that facility before so I'm sure a familiar face would--"

"Get the fuck out of here, I'm not in the mood right now Hawks. I told you we'd be meeting at 9am to discuss your next task, not fucking five in the morning. Besides, I don't think she'll even want to see your ugly face after--"

"You fucking stupid pigeonshit traitor!"

Was that me screaming as I burst through the door heading straight towards Hawks with a look that could kill on my face? You bet it was. 

Hawks didn't give me any resistance as I punched him right in the jaw like Dabi had done to me, ignoring the pain in my knuckles as I pushed him up against the wall. 

Despite the position I had him in, Hawks raised his hands up in defense, his playful gaze meeting mine as he tried to calm me down with that charismatic charm of his.

"Woah woah woah chicky. Let's just calm down for a second alright? Let me explain--"

Slamming him against the wall once more I ignored the look in his gaze that was telling me to calm down and hear him out. He obviously wasn't going to fight back so I took the opportunity to let my anger out-- all the anger that I've been building up against heros like him for the last fifteen years. I had thought he was different, but clearly-- he wasn't any better than the rest.  

"You're a fucking traitor! I healed you, I trusted you-- I thought I had finally found a hero worth believing in and you sell me out to the fucking League of Villains! They say villains are the bad ones, but after living as a dog of the Commission and meeting heros who will do anything they need to in order to get their way, including you-- I see that the heros are even worse than the villains. At least people like Dabi will give it to you straight-- he'll tell you he's gonna kill you and then he'll do it. He won't fucking pretend he's going to save you just to fuck you over in the end. You call yourself the #2 hero Hawks? All I see is nothing more than a joke-- a lying piece of shit."