Chapter IX: Villains Can Be Nice Too

"That little girl, Eri... she reminded me of myself when I was younger-- when I had hope for this world and dreamed of becoming a hero."

   (Yui Homura)

"I need you to grab Eri and follow me now. We have to get her to a more secure location."

"Why, what's happening--"

Overhaul made it clear that I wasn't in a place to be asking questions as he quickly closed the distance between us, his gloved hand putting pressure on my neck threateningly before pulling away.

"Next time you ask questions when you're not supposed to I'll disassemble you without a second thought. Now get moving."

Shaking off the fear that had risen in me from the close call with Overhaul, I brought Eri's sleeping form into my arms, the commotion causing her to sleepily open her eyes.

"Yui-san, what's--"

"It's nothing Eri-chan. I'm gonna take you somewhere safe so just sit tight alright?"

I felt Eri hug me tighter as the sleep left her gaze when she realized Overhaul was standing nearby, glaring at us to get moving. Nodding her head, Eri stayed silent, avoiding Overhaul's gaze as she buried her head in the crook of my neck.

"She seems to really have taken a liking to you."

"Yeah it's called not being an asshole, you should try it sometime."

Despite my sass, Overhaul beckoned for us to follow him, the roll of his eyes being the only sign to see that my words annoyed him.

"Aren't you supposed to be an asshole? Can't say I know many villains who would heal a random little girl when it doesn't benefit them at all."

I felt Overhaul's golden eyes run up and down my body as he gazed at the wounds that were once Eri's that were now littering my body. 

"Villain, hero, yakuza-- it doesn't matter who you are. I think most people would try to help a little girl who is being abused-- wouldn't you?"

"I don't get involved in matters that don't involve me, you shouldn't either."

Scoffing, I continued to follow Overhaul, picking up the pace as he led us through the winding hallways of the yakuza's base. The sounds of fighting could be heard both above and around us causing me to grin to myself-- the heros found their base quicker than we had anticipated. 

"Are you threatening me Chisaki? It seems you have more pressing matters to worry about rather than little old me. Don't forget I am your new teammate-- so what do you want me to do boss?"

Stopping in his tracks, Overhaul faced me, eyes blazing as he glared at my figure. 

"Stop fucking talking and follow me closely. Keep Eri away from those damn heros with your life or I'll make sure to turn you into trash just like I did your comrade. Understood Yui Homura?"

Despite the now trembling Eri in my arms, I nodded my head obediently towards Overhaul, breaking into quick strides in order to keep up with him as he moved through the maze of hallways. 

As great as it felt to talk back to Overhaul, I had to keep up appearances until it was my time to act. Just a little bit longer and then I could really show the bastard what kind of heartless villain I can be. 

I have a promise to keep to Eri after all-- a pinky promise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me, but can I ask you some questions?"

It didn't take much longer of Eri and I following Overhaul and one of his lackeys who joined us along the way for the heros or-- a single hero to show up. I felt Eri's hands tighten around me at the sight of the young hero, her small voice whispering in my ear.