Chapter XIII: Why?

"I watched as my memories burned..."

   (Yui Homura)

Fifteen Years Ago~

"Come on Yui honey, it's time to go."

Walking out of my room I was surprised to find my dad and mom all dressed up, looking at them in confusion as I rubbed my eyes sleepily.

"Mom? Where are we going? It's so early--"

"I know honey, but we really gotta get going okay?  Get dressed into something nice and we'll go. We can get some breakfast on the way, does that sound good?"

Hearing my stomach grumble at the mention of food, I nodded excitedly, not really caring about where we were going anymore. 

"Yay! I'll get ready super quick!"

Picking out my favorite dress and brushing my hair, I looked at myself one more time in the mirror, the thought of a fresh breakfast making me run out of my room excitedly. 

If only I knew that would be the last time I'd be home.

The last time I got to eat my favorite breakfast.

The last time I saw my parents.

I didn't know any better as I took the evil woman's hand before me-- a devil disguised as an angel.

"I can become... a special hero?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yui... I'm so sorry. We didn't want to--"

"But you did, didn't you? You sold away your own daughter like it was nothing. No tears, no heartache-- you and dad didn't even bother visiting me! You abandoned me like I was nothing. And you think sorry will fix it? That'd I'd come running back to you with open arms? Well fuck you and fuck dad--"

"Your dad is dead."

I felt the anger that was rushing through my veins momentarily dull at her words. My mom seemed to notice, her footsteps slowly coming closer to me as she held her arms open wide.

"I know sweetie. It's okay. He lost his long battle with cancer, but he didn't go painfully--"

My mom stopped in her tracks, her eyes widening in fear as my gaze fixed onto her figure hatefully, unhinged laughter leaving my lips.

It really is funny isn't it? 

She expects me to mourn his death? That I would just hug her and forgive her, dad's death moving me to tears?

Fuck that.

"He didn't go painfully huh? That's a shame, I was hoping he'd die slowly, painfully-- honestly I regret not getting here sooner! I would've loved to see the look on his face as his daughter who he sold for money returns, only to take all of that money from him and kill him with her own hands. At least you aren't dead yet, right mom?"

Eyes lighting up in fear, my mom shook her head back and forth, her figure trembling as I slowly made my way towards her. 

"Yui please! We didn't want to sell you away, but we had no choice! If we didn't then we would've--"

"We would've what? Been forced to leave our house? Have to live on the streets? I would've given anything during those fifteen years to live on the streets, to spend my days struggling to get by. That would've been much more pleasant than the fifteen years of torture I went through. Being forced to kill as a child, to heal people until I could barely breathe, forcing my body to get through in hopes of becoming a hero-- another lie you and dad forced yourselves to believe right? You made yourselves believe I was living a cushy, easy life-- that's why you didn't visit isn't it? You didn't want to see the truth did you?"