Chapter XXIII: An Unexpected Secret

"If it means learning more about Dabi's past--I'll fight until my very last breath." 

(Yui Homura)

"So what were you and that shitty bird talking about anyways? You were up there awhile."

Smirking at the obvious jealousy behind Dabi's questions I turned around to face him, walking backwards as we continued our trek in the woods to where Shigaraki and the others should be.

"Careful there Dabi. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're getting jealous on me."

Dabi rolled his eyes at my remark, but I couldn't help but notice the way his shoulders tensed, signaling that I'm hitting closer to home than he's letting on.

Not like it wasn't obvious from the start anyways. As much as he likes to play the tough guy, he practically wears his heart on his sleeve. Even if he doesn't admit to the way he's feeling, his body language gives everything away like an open book.

"I'm not fucking jealous. Just curious as to how you could stand being in the same room with that bird for so long. Don't you still hate his guts for giving your location away to us, all for his benefit?"

Smiling, I turned my back towards Dabi, enjoying the game we were playing as I knew my response would get on his nerves.

"I don't know. I think that overgrown chicken is just beginning to grow on me I guess."

"Grow on you? He's nothing but an untrustworthy, dimwit hero."

Recalling our conversation in his apartment, I smiled, images of a little boy with red wings and cuts covering his body trapped in a similar room that I know all too well from my childhood, those same four walls. 

"Actually, he's not as bad as I thought. We may have gotten off on the wrong foot, but I think he's going to be a useful ally, for all of us."

Walking up to be side by side with me now, Dabi kept pace with me as he asked his next question, his cerulean gaze full of curiosity even though he's desperately trying to hide it. 

"Useful? That pigeon shit? How?"

I kept my gaze forward as I continued to imagine Hawks-- Keigo as a child.

He got his childhood taken away just like me. Suffered everyday just like me. Hates that woman just like me.

Though he's a hero now, he used to be a little boy with tattered wings, cuts covering his body from head to toe as the Commission President used him as she liked. 

And she still uses him, or at least she thinks she does.

I can't imagine the hate he holds for her.

"Hawks, him and I truly are a lot more similar than I originally thought. He was a Commission kid just like me. Taken from a young age with promises of being a hero, only to be abused and used as a tool by the Commission President. Even now, she has him carry out the dirty work for the Commission, but he's finally had enough. That's why he wants to join our cause, that's why we can trust him."

I stopped my stride as I finished relaying this new information to Dabi, only to find that Dabi had stopped walking by my side quite some time ago, his cerulean eyes shining through the darkness of the woods as he stared at me with an unreadable expression. 

"So he finally told you. I was wondering how long he was gonna keep that secret to himself."

I felt my own eyes widen at Dabi's words, surprised that he kept Hawks's link to the Commission a secret from me.

"Wait, you knew? Why didn't you say anything?"

Keeping his distance, Dabi shoved his hands in his pocket with a smug smirk on his face, leaning against a tree as his cerulean eyes shined brightly, keeping my gaze locked in place.