Chapter VIII: Eri's Hero

"At least for one day in my life-- my dream of being a hero was finally fulfilled."

     (Yui Homura)

"My name is Yui. Your name is Eri right?"

I was met with silence as I stared at the terrified girl in front of me. Overhaul had left us alone about ten minutes ago, but I couldn't get a word out of Eri, her terrified gaze following me around the room as I attempted to start a conversation.

"I'll call you Eri-chan if that's alright then. Is that okay with you?"

Yet again I was met with silence, the poor girl pulling the blanket that was wrapped around her closer as I took a step towards her. I couldn't blame her for her actions-- even the room she was kept in felt like a dungeon despite the rainbows on the walls. I could only imagine how much time she spent in the dark here alone-- until Overhaul came to do whatever it is he's been doing to her.

Taking another step closer I attempted to get a closer look at the gauze that was wrapped around her arms and legs, the little girl trying to hide her wounded body under the blanket from my eyes. 

"Did he do that to you?"

Despite her fear, Eri nodded at my words confirming my own fears. That bastard was probably disassembling her and putting her back together whenever he pleased-- just thinking about it made me feel sick to my stomach. 

"Can I see Eri-chan? I think I can help you with my quirk if you'll let me."

My soft voice seemed to coerce Eri as she slowly let the blanket that was shielding her hang loosely from off her shoulders. Shakily, she held out her arms for me to see while I slowly sat on the edge of her bed in order to not spook her. 

I took her right arm gently in my hands, making eye contact with her as I unwrapped the gauze to make sure she wasn't getting uncomfortable or hurting in any way.

I had to suppress a gasp as I gently ran my hands down her uncovered arms-- they were caked in dry blood, courtesy of the multiple gashes and deep cuts that littered her skin. 

I felt my anger for the man known as Overhaul rise as Eri's small voice rang out, her words shaky as she was on the verge of tears.

"Every time I go out there he breaks me and then puts me back together again. Sometimes I don't even know if he put me back together correctly-- it hurts so much."

My heart broke for Eri as I took in her words, imagining the intense pain she must go through every day-- the terror she must feel as soon as Overhaul walks into the room.

"Do you wanna see something cool, Eri-chan? I think I can take that pain away for you if you let me."

"Really?"

"Really. Watch this okay?"

With a smile I gently put both of my hands on Eri's forearm, imagining the gashes and cuts closing up on their own. Eri's gasp of surprise made my smile grow before it was taken away completely, Eri's memories playing through my mind.

"No please... I don't want to do this anymore..."

Overhaul didn't listen as he swatted Eri's hands away, taking them in his grasp instead in order to strap her down to a medical bed.

"Your cursed quirk is the cure to this damned world. Shut up and deal with it-- I'll be kind enough to put you back together again afterwards so be grateful."

I felt bile rise in my throat as the memory continued to play, Eri's blood splattered around the room as Overhaul conducted whatever experiments he desired on her, her helpless screams soon dying down to nothing as she passed out from the pain.