Chapter XXIX: Memories

"Special hero... those two words really fooled us all so easily didn't they?"

   (Yui Homura)

"Touya..."

Dabi's real name left my lips softly, his hand on my wrist tensing slightly at the name he probably hasn't heard spoken out loud in years.

The minute Endeavor's face started fading from the brief memory, I began reaching for another burn on Da-- Touya's body, his hand guiding me to a small scar underneath his eye that was partly covered by the staples on his skin.

My eyes still closed, I traced the mark with my fingers. Instead of one of Touya's countless burns, this was a small scar left by a deep gash. The feeling of my own skin being cut barely made me flinch as another hazy memory took my attention away from the pain.

Touya was a bit older in this flashback, his body clad in a middle school uniform. I watched his eyes as he stared at a baby with eyes of jealousy, the  baby's half white and red hair giving his identity away as Endeavor's famous son, the young hero in training, Shouto Todoroki. 

Covering his hand in a blue flame, Touya reached towards baby Shouto, but whatever he had planned to do was quickly stopped as Endeavor came barreling into the room.

Easily shoving Touya to the ground, Endeavor stomped his boot on Touya's face without holding back, his boot digging into the skin hard enough to draw blood, a deep gash that would scar him forever forming under Touya's eye.

"Touya, what the fuck were you about to do to your baby brother!?"

Recoiling at the countless blows to his face, Touya cowered in fear, his arms shielding him as blood began to drip from the new gash under his eye.

"All you do is look at Shouto now! You don't need him dad, all you need is me! I swear I can be the hero you want me to be. I've been training every day and getting stronger and--"

Taking the baby Shouto into his arms, Endeavor stopped his attack on Touya's defenseless body, his eyes piercing into him as he said words that I'm sure Touya has never forgotten.

"Enough. You will never, NEVER be a hero. You're too weak for that. Just give it up and live an ordinary life, Touya. Your brother will carry on my legacy. I don't need you to be a hero anymore."

I could feel the hatred in Touya's heart growing as he stared silently as Endeavor turned his back on him and walked away, Shouto sleeping comfortably in his arms.

As the memory began to fade from my brain I felt my hand being guided to another wound on his body, this one being a larger burn on his left arm.

Opening my eyes, I carefully examined the burn that stretched from his forearm to his shoulder. As my hands gently ran along the fragile skin, Touya avoided my gaze, his eyes staring out the window of the little room we sat in. 

So far the scars and burns he was guiding me to heal told a story. Though he had countless all over his body, he seemed to remember how he got every one, knowing exactly what moment of his past I was seeing through his eyes.

"This next one might be pretty painful, so you we can stop here if you--"

Touya's words faded as my actions interrupted him, his eyes catching mine as I removed my sweatshirt, leaving me in my sports bra.

Having finally caught his gaze again, I returned both of my hands to the larger burn chuckling quietly as I watched his gaze slowly lower down my body.

"I don't want the burn sticking to my sweatshirt, don't let that dirty mind of yours give you the wrong idea. I'm not stopping unless you tell me to, okay?"