Chapter 21

The day after Liam kicked Louis out of the apartment, Harry went out with Zayn to spend some time away from his bed. Liam had to work but he gave his approval when the younger boy asked if Zayn could take him shopping around downtown. Harry was still wary about riding in cars, though he did use them when he had to, so he and Zayn walked into town. They walked next to each other, arm-in-arm, bumping hips with every few steps. Harry giggled the whole time as Zayn relayed stories of his youthful idiocy, just happy to be out of the apartment and getting some fresh air.

The two boys first stopped at a coffee shop to get some pick-me-ups. Harry got a small vanilla frappuccino, with lots of whipped cream, and Zayn got a large red-eye with a double shot of espresso. He was nursing a nasty hangover after a party the previous day. "How did you do two parties in a row? I could barely handle the one and I stayed in my room the whole time," Harry asked, his tone amazed. Zayn chuckled and shook his head at the boy. "I don't know, Haz. I guess I'm just more experienced than you are." Harry giggled as the older boy winked at him, his cheeks heating up embarrassingly quick. "Stop, Zayn. You're always so dirty." Zayn laughed and bumped Harry's shoulder, winking at him again. The younger boy just shook his head at the older lad, curls tickling the nape of his neck.

Once their names were called to get their drinks, the two boys found a small table at the back of the shop, slightly secluded so they could talk in private. "So, babes. How are you doing? Really." Zayn took a sip of his drink before crossing his arms on the table, giving the boy his undivided attention. Harry sighed, kicking his feet under the table. "I think I'm okay. I'm just...really pissed at Niall right now." Zayn nodded in understanding, keeping his mouth shut so Harry could talk. He knew Liam sometimes had a problem with staying quiet, so he wanted Harry to know that he had his full attention. "I've never lied to him before, so why would he want to lie to me? I wouldn't have cared if he said he wanted to hang out at the party. He should know I understand he is much more of a partier than I am."

Harry rolled his eyes and took a sip of his coffee. He grimaced a little bit when he tasted how sweet it was. They added too much sugar. "I mean, I've told him when I want to go places by myself. What made him feel like he had to lie to me? And why would he fucking mess around with Louis? Louis is totally not his type. Louis's too nice for him. Niall likes guys who take control and don't take bullshit. Louis's not like that. He's sweet, and gentle, like a little puppy. I know if Niall knew what Louis was actually like, he would have never done it with him in the first place." Harry crossed his arms to show that he was done talking.

Zayn leaned forward, his hands clasped in front of him. "Uh, Haz? I don't think you really know what Louis is like. Sure, he's really sweet with you, but he can be pretty controlling sometimes. I think he's just trying to be gentle with you because of what happened." Harry's mouth dropped open and Zayn tried to dig himself out of the hole he realized he had just put himself in. "No, Haz, I'm not saying he doesn't care about you or that it's just pity. He really does care for you. He knows your situation. His mum passed away a few years ago and I think he is trying to keep an eye on you since no one really did that for him. What I'm trying to say is...he treats you differently. I've never seen him so gentle or patient with anyone. You're special to him. If I'm being honest, you're special to all of us."

Harry blushed and ducked his head down, looking at his hands in his lap. "I mean it, Haz. You have stolen all of our hearts since you moved here. You're adorable, with your little dimples and your rosy cheeks and your big doe eyes. How can anyone not love you?" Zayn reached out and tapped the top of Harry's hand with two fingers, getting his attention. "I'm being honest, babes. You hear me?" Harry nodded. "I'm gonna ask this since Liam's not here and you can trust me not to tell him, but you don't have to answer." Zayn scooted forward in his chair, taking another sip of his coffee before clearing his throat.