06|first impressions

DANTE MANCINI—JUNE

MY BUSINESS WAS MY PRIDE and joy—sometimes at least. At this very moment however, I was quite honestly regretting ever taking on the task of creating, controlling, and caring for a multi-million dollar empire. Thirteen years of my life have been dedicated to this, thirteen years of working twelve hour days when no one else would, hopping from meeting to meeting, and being the one to blame when something failed. I was burnt out and desperately in need of a long break that I knew I couldn't take.

As if the universe had heard my complaint, my phone vibrated from beside me. Picking it up and looking at the screen, I had honestly expected to see a text message—just not one from Naomi. I opened it without hesitation.

I know you said to call if I needed that coffee, but I tend not to follow rules so...here's a text

Admittedly, a smirk grew on my face as I read the text. It was wiped away immediately when a voice spoke from directly in front of my desk.

"What has you so cheery?" My closest friend—and business partner—Khalil asked as he took a seat in the chair in front of the desk.

Khalil and I have been friends since elementary school and from that time on we've always had plans to go into business together. He was one of the few people I knew who was just as intelligent, dedicated, and determined as I was.

"None of your business," I murmured and pursed my lips, turning the phone screen off and placing it back on the desk—away from where he could reach it.

"Don't tell me it's that girl from the restaurant," he replied slyly, shaking his head at me. "She's a bit young...and Mauricio didn't scare her off the other day?"

"Hey guess what. None of your business," I told him once again, putting my feet back up on my desk. "What'd you come in here for?"

"Mr. McNamara called. He wants to have a meeting next Thursday."

Mr. McNamara was probably the only person in this world who instilled even an ounce of fear in me. He made great contributions to the business that Khalil and I started because he saw how dedicated we were from the beginning—but if we weren't on our A-game he would be quick to take that away. Which was exactly why we needed to start preparing soon—just not quite yet.

"You know we need to start getting reports together so I'll get them from the finance department and you start—"

"I'll start on Sunday," I cut in, watching as he looked at me as if I were crazy. Which I probably was because I was usually the one on top of everything. "I have something to do...something important. So I'll be leaving for the day soon."

Silence ensued as Khalil soaked in my words. I knew he wasn't satisfied—but he would just have to pretend he was because I was done for the day.

"Fine. Sunday it is."

With that, he got up and walked out of the room. I picked my phone back up, feeling bad for not responding to Naomi even though I had clearly read the text.

I'll let the text slide this time. When are you free?

She replied almost immediately with, Anytime. Day off today and summer break.

Meet me in half an hour?

Half an hour it is

***
WHEN NAOMI FINALLY SHOWED up—late that is—I couldn't even be mad at her because of how ravishing she looked. She had on a colorful top that showed a hint of cleavage and accentuated her small waist, while she wore looser light wash jeans on the bottom. She looked great to say the least. Even her hair was different, this time completely straight and stopping just past her shoulders.