15|new friend

NAOMI COLE—JULY

I HADN'T EXPECTED TO wake up the next morning still lying on Dante's couch—but that's exactly what happened. We had spent the rest of the evening just conversing and watching a movie—barely—but I didn't even know I fell asleep.

Sitting up with a yawn, I felt my phone vibrate from my side making me let out a little yelp. Picking it up, I saw over twenty missed texts from Veronica, all of them asking if I had been kidnapped, killed or...if I was getting fucked into oblivion by Dante.

After letting her know that I was perfectly fine, I stood from the couch and finally got my chance to observe his apartment. One half of the home was slanted, giving a asymmetrical look to the place that I really adored. Soft early morning light was flowing in through the floor-to-ceiling windows, giving the room a nice soft glow that illuminated everything. Beside the living room was a set of stairs that led up to the second level where you could overlook the bottom floor. On the other side of them was a pristine kitchen where I noticed Dante was seated and still hadn't noticed that I woke up.

"Good morning," I smiled as I approached the island where he was sitting, a newspaper in one hand while a cup of coffee was in the other. God, this guy really made it hard for me not to think he was old.

He lifted his eyes slowly from the newspaper, locking his gaze with mine as he replied with, "Morning, Naomi. Sleep well?"

"No."

He looked a little offended at my answer, which seemed to dissolve when he took notice of the sly smirk on my face. "And why is that?"

"Oh...no reason. It just would have been nice to have something put me to sleep. I think I would have slept better if—"

"Don't say it, sweetheart," he laughed, shaking his head at me and turning back to look at his newspaper. "Help yourself to anything."

I nodded and bit down on my bottom lip, gazing around his spotless kitchen. It didn't even seem like this guy had ever cooked here. Finally, I settled on pouring myself a cup of coffee and taking a seat at the island beside him.

"I promised Veronica I would get breakfast with her this morning," I called out, pouting as he nodded in understanding. This was pretty much our last day to hang out for a while due to his sister coming into town and I honestly didn't want it to come to an end. But I also didn't want to meet his sister yet so I could manage.

"She'll understand if you're late right?" He inquired, placing his warm hand on my thigh as he slowly crept it up towards the edge of my dress.

"I guess so," I breathed out as he added more to the equation by leaning over and pressing soft kisses down my neck until he reached my collarbone.

Grabbing the edge of my seat, he spun me so that I was facing him completely and caught my lips in a ferocious kiss, not taking any time to completely overtake me. I moaned lowly against his lips as I felt his fingers inch even closer and closer to the exact spot they had been the night before.

Hastily, he pulled away all of the sudden leaving me wanting more and completely ignoring the way he chuckled and shook his head at me in disbelief.

"You're making it too easy for me to win this competition, Naomi," he laughed, causing my eyes to widen in shock as I realized he had been trying to make me lose. This soon into the competition. "Go to breakfast."

"Fuck you," I muttered, rolling my eyes at him even though the giggle that fell out of my mouth contradicted my words and actions. "Bye, Dante."

Walking back over to the couch, I grabbed my bag and with a few quick words, I was in the elevator descending back down to the lobby.

As soon as I reached the sidewalk outside of the building, my phone began to ring. Expecting it to be Veronica, I picked it up without hesitation.