12|trust me

NAOMI COLE—JUNE

BY THE TIME MONDAY rolled around, I had come back to my senses and realized that I had been quite dramatic on Friday. And now I was more than ecstatic to get started on the internship—and to see Dante.

Concentrating intensely as I laid my edges down—even though they would frizz just minutes later—Veronica walked into my bedroom with a bright grin on her face.

"I woke up so early just to wish you a good day so you better enjoy it," she grumbled as she approached me, pulling me into her embrace. "By chance, do the doors to Dante's office lock? You know so you two can—"

"Go back to bed, Roni," I laughed, looking at her incredulously as she shrugged her shoulders with a sly look on her face. "I'll be sure to check if they lock...just in case."

"Atta girl," she cheered, grabbing my bag for me and slipping it on my shoulder now that I was ready to head off to the office for the day.

The subway was only a block away from our apartment so in just mere minutes I was seated on the crowded public transportation and scrolling through my phone checking social media.

Deciding I was quite bored, I left Twitter and instead opened up my messages, clicking on Dante's name that was right at the top.

See you soon ;)

After sending the text, I leaned back in my seat and focused on the music playing through my headphones. Just seconds later though, my phone was vibrating in my hand. Hoping it was Dante, I perked up instantly and opened the texts. I nearly choked on my saliva when I saw that he had sent me a picture of himself giving me a thumbs up with a smile—a tight-lipped one of course—on his gorgeous face. And even better, it was at a low angle giving me the perfect view of his wonderful bone structure and those long eyelashes of his.

Under the picture he had written, Can't wait ;). I have your coffee here waiting for you. Come to my office ASAP

I bit down on my bottom lip to stifle the grin that was fighting to claim its place on my face. The subway had reached my stop—as well as the stop of many other people—but gladly I was one of the first to get off. The office wasn't far from the subway and as soon as I entered the lobby I felt energized for the day.

In the elevator, I primped myself to make sure I looked as good as possible and as expected, my edges had completely released themselves of the gel that had laid them down. Oh well.

"Good day, Mr. Mancini," I said cheerily as I walked into his office where he sat behind his desk staring at his computer.

Grabbing my coffee, he stood from his seat and approached me. "Morning, Naomi. How was your weekend?"

As he passed me the coffee, our fingers brushed just as they had so many times before, but this time he kept them there. And as much as I wanted to enjoy the moment to the fullest, my mind was stuck on Friday and how horrendous my time with Gabe had been. Why did I do that? I mean, Saturday and Sunday had been great, but Friday started off as a great day and descended into something I just wanted to forget.

"It was okay. Kind of boring. Something could have made it much better," I remarked, a smirk on my face as I looked up into those chestnut orbs.

"And what is that something?" He asked quite sultrily in a deep voice as he leaned in closer to me so that our faces were mere inches apart. I felt as his hands slid down from my hand so that it was now resting on my wrist, making my skin feel like it was burning in that spot.

Just as I opened my mouth to respond something sweet and just as seductive, his office door shot open and in walked Khalil as Dante and I fled from one another.

"Didn't I tell you to knock," Dante growled as Khalil gave him the middle finger before sending me a bright smile.

"Naomi, why don't you get settled at your desk before the meeting at ten. We'll need you to take notes."

"Um...okay. See you in a few," I said awkwardly, looking between Khalil and Dante. Dante sent me a raised eyebrow before returning his glare right back to his friend.

I did just as they said and walked out to my desk among the other people who worked in the office. I hadn't gotten the chance to meet many of them, but I hoped to. Sitting on my desk was a bouquet of flowers, bringing a bright smile to my face. Grabbing the vase, I checked the tag to see that they were from the entire staff saying that they were glad to have me join them.

I moved the bouquet out of the way and began to set out all of the things I had brought for work and to decorate my desk for the short time I would be here. The internship was only for six months, but Khalil had also let me know that he wouldn't mind extending it for me if need be.

Time flew by quickly and the next thing I knew, I was seated beside Dante in the conference room taking notes as he spoke with the marketing team for the company. Hearing him speak in this professional setting using words that I just barely understood was definitely a turn on because I loved an intelligent man.

The next meeting started immediately after that with the finance department about all the business's spendings for the month. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing when they said that company spending was at least $500,000 a month.

When the meeting was over, Dante asked me to come to his office to go over notes, but I almost had a inkling that this wasn't only about that.

"Were you able to keep up with everything okay?" Dante questioned as he closed his office door behind us and walked over to sit at his desk.

"Yup. And I'm planning on structuring the notes a bit better and then I'll send them off to you and Khalil," I smiled as we stared at each other from our opposite sides of the desk. "Are you free tonight?"

"I'll have to check my busy schedule," he retorted, using my own joke against me and making me let out a snort. "I am. What do you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise. You'll just have to trust me."

He raised his eyebrows at me and pursed his lips. "You can't even be trusted to walk down a sidewalk without almost running into someone. Or flipping over the handle bars of a bike."

"Okay, but Dante...this is different. Just trust me, okay?"

"Fine," he groaned, dragging out the words as he tapped a pen on the edge of his desk. "Now get back to work, Miss Cole."

"Sir, yes sir," I replied, saluting him as if I were in the military before stalking out of his room and back to my desk with a grin on my face.

My first day was going well if I do say so myself.

i hope you all enjoyed the chapter! the picture above is supposed to be what naomi's hair looks like

where do you think she's gonna take dante? and what do you think they're gonna talk about *hint hint*

please remember to vote and make sure to leave comments because i love reading them!

also, this book is #78 in wealth?!?! i didn't find out until one of my readers told me, but we're slowly climbing up