17|dream

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER DISCUSSES BOTH RAPE AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

NAOMI COLE—JULY

THE SOUND OF HIS keys turning in the front door sent a shock of anxiety through my body at just the thought of what he could possibly be upset about today.

He was home earlier than normal and although he had left home this morning in a fairly upbeat mood, I could practically feel his anger simmering within him. Just him being in my vicinity felt like everything around me was beginning to burn. That's how intense his anger felt.

"Hi," I chirped out as soon as his stepped past the threshold, his nostrils already flared as he held back the glare that he wanted to send in my direction.

This morning, I hadn't reminded him to wake up for work which had resulted in an unnecessary argument—unnecessary from my point of view. He was already late which was exactly why he had saved his anger for later—for this very moment. And that was even worse because he had time to think about each and every way he wanted to demean me for today.

"I don't know who the fuck you thought you were with the way you talked to me this morning," he hissed as he angrily kicked off his shoes and hung up his jacket. "Come here, Naomi."

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I did just as he said and approached him confidently. With my head held high and a neutral expression on my face, I presented myself as fearless in his presence even though my lip was threatening to tremble and my body was on the brink of shaking.

"Respond to me. Let me here what little excuse you have this time," he snapped, roughly grabbing my chin so that my eyes were locked on his as I answered. The ferocity brewing in his icy blue eyes as they danced between mine was enough to erase every ounce of confidence out of my body. But it didn't. And even though in that moment I wished it had, just so that I wouldn't have suffered what I did, in the long run my confidence was what saved me.

"You knew who I was when you started dating me. You knew I wasn't going to be at your every beck and call and that I would stand up for myself."

Immediately, a grin grew on his face and he blatantly laughed in my face at my words. What started out as a little guffaw turned into full blown laughter—the evil kind of laughter that sends chills down you spine.

"You stupid bitch," he spoke, shaking his head as his laughter died down to a stop. "Really, Naomi. I didn't think you were that dumb."

"Fuck you."

Another mistake. That same fury returned to those sky blue eyes—only intensified. Before I could react, his hand was cocked back and all I could do was close my eyes and wait for contact. The sound of his skin hitting mine and the severe sting of my cheek combined immediately made a sob rack through my body as I stumbled away from him, holding my cheek delicately.

"Why did you do that?" I sobbed, my vision becoming blurred as my eyes filled to the brim with tears that threatened to spill.

I watched as his expression shifted from anger to worry and then...guilt? "Naomi...baby, you know I didn't mean to do that. I was just upset. I'm so sorry, you know I love you, baby."

He wrapped his arms around me as I continued to sob a bit. The whole time, I just thought about how much I needed to get away from him. How much I needed a break. Maybe a break would help to let him think everything through and realize that he was being irrational.

"Naomi, baby...look at me."

I did as he said, lifting my gaze to look at him and the stupid grin he had on his face. Before I knew it, his lips were pressed roughly against mine and he was pushing me up against the wall beside the door, kissing me so aggressively that I couldn't even keep up.