37|opinions and opportunities

*THIS CHAPTER IS NOT EDITED. PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS WHERE YOU FIND PROBLEMS AND I WILL FIX THEM WHEN I EDIT!!!

NAOMI COLE—OCTOBER

AS QUIETLY AS POSSIBLE, I slipped through Dante's front door, sure that he was fast asleep by this point and not wanting to wake him up. However, as soon as I shut and locked it behind me, the lights in the room turned on and I watched as Dante stepped off the bottom stair.

"It's four in the morning, Naomi. You told me you would be here by midnight and never called or texted back," He spoke immediately, his arms crossed over his chest as he pinned me with his stern gaze.

I let out a dry laugh as I dropped my keys onto the stand beside his front door and kicked my shoes off. After Daisy and I met at the café, we agreed to later meet up and go out for the night—I just hadn't expected to be out all night.

"Are you mad at me for wanting to spend time with a friend? And also, my phone died."

"Of course I'm not mad at you, Naomi," he sighed, stepping closer to me, though he still appeared closed off. "I was just worried about you."

"You're right I should have said something," I muttered dryly, narrowing my eyes as I wondered if I should continue. Daisy's words from earlier in the day still rang in my ears; Dante shouldn't expect anything from me that he doesn't reciprocate. "I wish you had something about how you've been feeling recently before leaving me hanging for weeks and wondering what I did wrong."

He scoffed. "What? You wanted me to complain to you each and every day about how stressed I am. You just wouldn't understand."

"But we're in a relationship. It wouldn't be you complaining, you're supposed to share you feelings with the person you're with. Maybe I wouldn't understand, but I would try. That feels like more than I can say for you now."

Expecting him to respond, I watched as he instead ran a hand over his mouth and shook his head. Dante's words sting, but his silence is even worse in my opinion.

"Can we just...talk about this in the morning?" He finally muttered in a low tone, his tone sounding full of defeat.

"I can't hold any of this back anymore! I've done that enough in the past few weeks as I've tried to coddle your feelings, but it's eating away at me. I can't hurt myself to save you."

"What are we doing here?" He questioned after a few moments of silence. "I told you what's been bothering me and you're bringing it up again. Just let it go!"

At this point, I was feeling beyond frustrated. All I wished was that he could understand how frustrating it was to see him act so different for weeks and after hearing his explanation, I did nothing but express my support only for him to turn around and not do the same for my feelings.

"Maybe we should just talk about this tomorrow," I laughed, shaking my head at the confused expression on his face. "I want you to think about everything you've said to me and why you look like such an asshole right now."

Not even waiting for his response, I walked past him and up the stairs. Stopping at his bedroom door, I almost went in a laid down, but what impression could that possibly give him other than the idea that I wasn't as upset as I really was. Instead, I kept moving and entered the guest bedroom, flopping down onto the bed.

Instantly, tears of frustration and worry filled my eyes as began to spill over before I could even attempt to put an end to them. While everything else in my life seemed to be going right, my relationship seemed to be crashing and burning before it even truly began. And what scared me the most was the fact that I was fine with that; my relationship could wait, but my future couldn't.