Part 17

21 January 1981

Wednesday 6:00pm

-----

You slowly set the phone back down on the receiver.

It had finally happened.

You thought your old company had been shot, but turns out it had come back, relocating in London.

It was wonderful news.

You had just gotten a call from them, not only offering you a better position than before, but a raise as well. They said you could begin immediately.

It was great news. You didn't have to start over at a new company, and you'd have potential upward mobility as well. You didn't have as much at your current position.

Of course, your current position was a tricky subject.

You took this job as a placeholder, something to take care of your bills. You were planning on it not lasting more than a month, a couple perhaps, but now it'd been only a little over four you'd been working here!

You always took the time to look over the classifieds, but nothing particularly caught your eye. You could always think of a reason why it was best not to apply.

Another reason, you assumed Paul would eventually let you know when he no longer needed your services. He did list the position as "temporary". Yet, he hadn't made any references to it (not since the cryptic "for a little while" when you'd first began). To be fair, you hadn't brought it up since the initial query.

Suppose there was a consistent amount of things to do, and having a receptionist must be helpful to him. Perhaps the hassle of finding a replacement wasn't worth it, and you were the one he was waiting on to quit.

Well, you hadn't brought it up. Why hadn't you?

For the most part, you expected Paul to give you ntice, then you'd have a good amount of time to find another job, or you'd at least have the money that it wouldn't put you in a bad spot.

Suppose you got comfortable. It was a routine. Working for Paul was enjoyable, the pay was fine.

You didn't want to be a secretary for life... By god, did you not want to be a secretary for life! You knew that much. The offer itself was a reminder of that. This wasn't your end goal.

Not to put down other secretaries of course, but it wasn't something you wanted. Some people found meaning in places other than work. They worked to live, but their life was their families, their hobbies, travel, learning... Everybody had goals, but your goal was to rise to the top!

So, you accepted the offer. You'd be working in a company again, have coworkers to speak to. Currently, clients came and went, you met a lot of interesting characters, but Paul was the only person consistently around.

Paul was lovely, certainly. You got on well, and he was wonderful company, but... in all honesty, it must not be very good for you. Namely, the social aspect of a regular office job.

All your old schoolmates were back home, and had their own lives (and children for some). You weren't much for clubbing, and hadn't met so many people in the city, and it'd been the better part of half a year... It was isolating in a way.

Man... you were always like this, even in your youth. If you had other things to do, you just didn't make the effort. Or if you did, you had an unexplainable fear, as if something was constricting in your chest. It made no sense. People were never cruel to you, really. Not since your awkward earlier years, anyhow.

If you kept going like this, you'd end up a miserably lonely old woman. The thought of it worried you more than you'd care to admit.

However, you had no fear at all if there was an ulterior purpose. If you had a reason to speak to somebody, an excuse, work related, class related, you could do so easily. Suppose that's why it was easier when you had a built in social circle.

Nevertheless... the whole sexual aspect to your dynamic went without saying. You liked Paul, but you'd also been sleeping with him since September. Quite frequently at that.

Paul was very pretty. That much was obvious. You went along with the affair, not thinking much of it. He wanted to fuck his secretary? Sure. Again, you didn't expect to be working with him this long.

Luckily, it didn't make it hard to work together. Quite the opposite really. You did like Paul. You did. He'd grown on you a great deal, and he was enjoyable to be around. It was pleasant working with him, truly.

You'd look back on it all fondly. You would part on good terms, and both move on. Maybe Paul would find another secretary, and you'd pursue your career.

-----

23 January 1981

Friday 9:00am

-----

On Friday morning, you typed up your two weeks notice. You went to drop it by his office.

Paul was at his desk, looking over some things. He looked up at you as you came in, his expression pleasant.

He hadn't called you, but it wasn't unusual for you to come by, remind him of scheduled events, hand him notes, things he needed. You were the secretary, you likely knew more than him when it came to his itinerary, keeping track of his files, his clients.

You did feel some apprehension, but knew it was all for the best.

"Here, this is for you." You said.

Paul took the sheet from your hands, then read over what was written, his smile fading a bit.

"Ah," He said after a moment. "I see."

His voice was still pleasant, but steadied. His gaze was focused on the paper.

"It's been a pleasure working here." You said. "My old company has started up again close by. They offered me a position. It's great."

Paul nodded. He still had a smile on, but it didn't seem to reach his eyes. His gaze was still fixed on the paper, as if enraptured with the content. His features were unreadable.

"Right," Paul said. His tone was slightly sharp, not as pleased as his features seemed to convey.

He looked up from the paper. He kept a pleasant expression, but you'd gotten used to his bubbly tone of voice. It was a bit more even.

"Is there anything I could help with? I could write a referral or something..." He said.

"That'd be good..."

You trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"I appreciated my time working here..." You began "I was in a pinch, y'know, back in September. It's a good thing I found you when I did. Might've had to move back in with my old man if I didn't."

Paul nodded, eyes back on the paper. Still, he kept his smile, yet there was a stiffness to him.

"It's been a pleasure, really." You said again.

"Yeah." Paul said, tone as pleasant as it always was.

Paul's gaze was still fixed on the paper, unwavering. You supposed it was the end of the conversation.

You walked out the door. Paul's eyes didn't move from the paper once, his expression unreadable, his features unwavered.

But, he wasn't smiling.