Part 49

Man! This chapter was long as shit to edit. I also went back and added stuff, had to move around stuff for it to be cohesive. I really want this arc to achieve what I want it to, as well as portray the distinct beach vibe! That's important in writing you know... creating an atmosphere.

Believe me, I didn't take a break after posting the last chapter. It legit took me this long to edit. Considered breaking it up halfway through... but I already broke this arc up into more chapters than initially planned lol. (Previous chapter was originally part of this one, but by god that would be a long chapter). I want this whole day to flow!

Strap in, this was goddamned 47 pages in total once I finished editing. Chill here for a bit, may take a sec to read though. Hope you enjoyy.

20 June 1981

2:00pm Saturday

-----

Eventually, the train journey ended, and you'd arrived at your destination.

Paul helped you off the train, the both of you carrying your cases.

You had packed rather light, being that you'd be here only a few days.

You were a bit lightheaded walking off, the trip having tired you out. Horrible... though, the journey would be a tiring one regardless.

"That was brutal." You said to him under your breath. "Always think I can handle these things when I'm rested at home, planning it out."

"Only a cab ride left..."

He gave your arm a squeeze.

"You'll love the place we're staying at."

Your head rested on his shoulder, nearly dozing off on the ride, the car stopping and starting with traffic. He smelled nice, you thought. If you could bottle it, you would be very happy to carry it around. Paul's gaze was on the window, lost in thought.

The scenery as you passed along seemed more Italian to you than French, but suppose you were right on the border, not so far off.

You liked Italian food...

-----

Paul nudged you once you'd arrived. You had fallen asleep after all. You were still groggy.

"We're just going to meet someone at the door." He said. "She'll show us around real quick... then it'll be just us..."

A bit suggestive on the latter bit.

You nodded, worse for wear.

Ha... well, maybe once you settled in a comfortable bedroom, you'd feel up to enjoying your English rose.

When the car turned a corner, it came to a stop. Paul unbuckled himself, getting out of the car.

He came over by your door to help you out. Quite chivalrous. Not immobile yet, but appreciated. He ought to help you, after all he'd done.

Unsteadily to your feet, with Paul's assistance, you noticed a woman waiting by the doorway of the place. It was detached, quite Italian looking, a burnt shade of orange, quite tall. On the opposite side, you could see was the beach. Easy access! How wonderful!

Paul had planned the majority of it. It being his birthday holiday, and it being on his dime, you let Paul take the reins more or less on what he wanted to do. You'd be happy to accompany him, whatever it was.