Part 32

25 April 1981

12:00pm Saturday

-----

You went down with Paul to a nearby shopping center.

It was a day on the colder side of late April, even though the sun was out.

It wasn't too long of a walk, and you'd gotten a night of sleep. You felt a bit better today, if not a little dizzy, but that was to be expected, walking around.

Paul kept an arm's length distance, good of him. Whether conscious or not, he didn't outpace you, also appreciated.

Though, similar to the previous time, you were used to having a hold on him. You found yourself missing it.

It was comfortable to do in cold weather, and helped stay in pace easier. Especially now, it'd be nice to steady yourself (truly beginning to feel like an old woman, thinking like that.)

You could feel his presence beside, and from the corner of your eye. It was odd for sure. Maybe not awkward, but certainly different.

But as you got closer, the destination began to come into view.

You felt some embarrassment getting near any of those infant shops. The thought seemed suffocating, with how cheery and puerile they were. As if designed for the infants to shop for themselves.

You stalled in your tracks, causing him to also, just a bit off.

"You know, maybe we should get it later." You said, nerves creeping in.

You weren't showing yet, but going near those sorts of places would surely give it away.

He turned to you, more confused than anything frustrated. His hands were in his pockets for warmth, a pink flush from the cold, on his lips, nose, ears, and around his eyes. He always seemed soft with a coat on.

"Ey? Why not?" He said. "We came all the way here."

You peered warily past him at the store.

You could see a couple coming out, very simple in the way they did so, idly chatting. The door opened and shut.

It wasn't so populated in the area, despite it being Saturday. Likely due to the weather, most would be inside.

"You don't want people to know?"

You drew your eyebrows, unsure of what to say. It wasn't that, but you couldn't quite put your finger on what it was. So far your strategy was to be direct with everything, not playing games, or skirting around the truth. That was the best way to avoid issues in this whole arrangement. You were upfront with what worried you.

He continued on, very cheery.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed, I mean, it's a very common thing, having children. It's not as if people would judge. If anything, they'd be sweet on you. Miracle of life!"

He nudged you.

"Even so, you're with me, aren't you?" he said. "Not as if you'd be hassled being out of wedlock."

You gave a small huff of a laugh.

"That's funny actually... you putting it like that." You said. "In a way, it's a loud and clear advertisement that we've had sex to completion, isn't it?"

Paul blinked, though reciprocation of the sentiment. His eyes lidded, his voice lower.

"Oh really?" He said, stupid suggestiveness. "After all this, you're worried about public indecency? Had not the slightest care of that in the time I've known you..."