13.

- I know you're in there, open the door. A male voice shouted, fury was evident in his tone of voice.

Maya froze at the sound of that voice, fear invaded her body and her breath hitched in that instant. Carina was very confused, who was that man and why was Maya suddenly so scared?

- You can't hide Maya, I will always find you. The voice behind the door was heard again.

Carina noticed how Maya's breathing was getting more and more agitated and now a few tears were starting to run down her cheeks.

- Hey hey take it easy. Carina whispered taking the blonde in her arms. – Do you know who that is?

Maya only nodded her head in agreement as she clung tighter to the Italian as if her life depended on it. Carina wanted more than anything to protect her, but she had no idea from what or from whom. Unlike the night before, the person behind the door did not desist, the pounding on the door getting louder and louder and the shouting more threatening.

- Is it Mason? Is he someone dangerous? Carina asked, trying to understand what was happening.

- No, it's not Mason. Replied the blonde quickly.

Carina waited for Maya to continue talking and maybe tell her who the man behind the door was, but Maya fell silent again without leaving the Italian's arms.

- Ok, can you tell me who he is? Carina said not wanting to push Maya, but she was really worried and wanted to know more about the situation.

Maya remained silent, more tears welling up in her eyes.

- Open the damn door, I know you're in there! The screaming continued.

- We need to do something! Carina exclaimed as she noticed that the screaming was increasing, and the person wasn't planning to leave. – I'm going to call the police. She added as she tried to break away from Maya and get her cell phone.

- No, we can't. Maya shouted, holding on to the Italian woman again so that she wouldn't move.

- Why Maya? Tell me, let me help you, please. Carina begged.

- He... he's my father. And I'm afraid that if I do something against him... he might hurt my brother. Maya said between sobs.

- Mason? Carina asked, as she slowly stroked the blonde's back in an attempt to calm her down.

Maya just nodded.

- I'm going to stop this. Said Carina abruptly pulling away from the blonde.

- What? No, you can't. Said Maya trying to stop Carina.

- If we don't do something he's not going to leave Maya. Trust me. Said Carina looking into Maya's eyes so tenderly, Maya felt everything around her calm down.

- Ok, but be careful, it can be dangerous. Said Maya giving her a last hug and a tender kiss on her cheek.

- Good afternoon sir, sorry for the delay, I was in the bathroom. Said Carina kindly as she opened the door and ran into a tall, blond man, very similar to Maya. – How can I help you?

- And who are you? Lane said as he saw the brunette standing in the doorway.

- Carina, nice to meet you. Said the Italian woman, extending her hand to shake his hand, an act that Lane did not reciprocate. – And you are? she added, with a fake smile.

- Where is Maya? exclaimed the man quickly, moving forward and trying to enter the apartment.

Carina quickly blocked the entrance preventing the man from advancing further, she had grown tired of the kindness and wanted the man to leave as soon as possible.

- Excuse me sir, but I don't know any Maya, so I would appreciate it if you could leave my house. Carina exclaimed in a more serious tone.

- I know she's here and neither you nor anyone else is going to stop me from seeing her. Said the man full of fury as he lightly pushed the brunette to make his way into the apartment.

- Enough, if you don't leave right now I'm going to call the police. Carina exclaimed, annoyed by the man's attitude.

- I'm going to leave, but I want you to tell the useless disgrace I have as a daughter that this doesn't end here, that we will meet again, and she will pay for all the shame she put me through. I thought she was the exception, but she is just as disappointing as her mother and her stupid brother. Said the man with contempt before turning and leaving the place.

Carina stood in the doorway for a few seconds, trying to take in what had happened and the man's words. She could not believe that someone could speak with such contempt of her family, of her children. And much less how he could talk that way about Maya, she hadn't known her long, but Maya Bishop had become one of the most important people in her life. The sweet Maya who helped her with her nightmares, who stayed with her all night, who always brought a smile to her face, who with a simple look or a hug made her forget her problems completely. Maya didn't deserve to be treated that way, she didn't deserve to live in fear. Maya deserved to feel loved and safe and Carina was willing to give her all that.