26.

- My turn. Maya interrupted the gossip. – Never have I ever slept with my best friend.

Everyone turned to look at her, but no one was taking a shot. Then Gabriella looked Carina in the eye and with a mischievous look said. - Like I said, best sex ever. And she took the shot without taking her eyes off Carina.

Maya's gaze went from Gabriella to Carina and back, she felt her cheeks heat up as she saw the look Gabriella was giving Carina and all her insecurities came to the surface at that moment. Without a second thought she got up from the couch and without a word ran to her room, under everyone's gaze.

- Maya! Shouted Carina who followed the blonde to her room.

- No! I don't want to hear it! Maya shouted before slamming the door in Carina's face and plopping down on the bed.

- Maya! Please! Carina begged from the doorway but got no response from the blonde.

After insisting and insisting and getting no response, Carina returned with the group. Andrew, seeing his sister returning alone, went to her side, while everyone continued drinking and laughing, too drunk to care about what was going on around them.

- Where is Maya? Andrew asked.

- In her room, she doesn't want to talk to me. Carina replied disappointed.

- I'm sorry, I didn't know you hadn't told her anything yet. Andrew sympathized.

- I know, I wanted to tell her, but I didn't know at what point.

- Don't worry, give her time, I know Maya, I know she'll understand. Whispered Andrew trying to calm his sister down. - I mean, you and Gabriella are in the past, right? It's not like now that she's here everything is going to resurface, is it?

Andrew knew that Carina really cared about Maya, he could tell by the way she looked at her. However, he couldn't help but have that doubt inside him. Carina and Gabriella had been best friends for years, but they were also much more than that. They were never officially a "couple", Carina saw other people and Gabriella saw other people too, but when things didn't work out, they always found comfort in each other. They had fun together, it was an easy thing, just good sex and new experiences, no strings attached.

Carina was silent for a moment before answering, which worried Andrew a little, he didn't want either of them to get hurt. After all, they were the most important women in his life.

- Of course not, she's just my best friend. Carina replied.

Carina had no feelings for Gabriella, at least not feelings that compared to what she felt for Maya. The dynamics of her relationship with Gabriella was not something Carina wanted to keep secret, but she didn't feel the need to tell Maya everything, after all it was a thing of the past. Gabriella would only be in town for a few months and she didn't want things between her best friend and Maya to get weird and tense, so she preferred not to talk about it with Maya. But now she realized it was all a mistake, that she should have talked to Maya in the first place. Maya deserved more than that.

Hours later Ben and Dean had already left, Andy and Victoria had fallen asleep on the couch, Travis was pacing back and forth looking for blankets and pillows to improvise a bed on the floor. Jack was still flirting with Gabriella, though Gabriella was barely paying attention to him. And Andrew was debating between going to see Travis who was driving him crazy walking all over the place, messing up everything around him looking for blankets or going to talk to Carina who looked pretty bad sitting on a chair that pointed exactly at Maya's door. Carina couldn't take her eyes off that door; it was as if she was expecting the door to magically open at some point and Maya would run out of there and into her arms.

- Are you going to sleep over? You can stay in my room, just like old times. Said Andrew trying to cheer up the Italian a little.

- What? Carina asked, she was so focused on the door that she didn't hear Andrew's words.

- I said, I think you should stay. It's late and sorry, but you don't look so good. Said Andrew.

- I can't, there's not enough room and I have to make sure Gabriella gets home safely. Said Carina looking away from the door.

- Are you sure? I don't think Jack would mind giving her a lift at all. Andrew pointed to where the two of them were talking.

- Yes, don't worry. Carina said, faking a smile. – Call me if you hear from Maya please, anything, she hasn't been out for hours and I'm worried about her. She added.

- She just needs time. Andrew sympathized.

- I know, I know. Sighed Carina. – But I need to clarify everything.

- You can do that later; you need to sleep now. Said Andrew wrapping Carina in a hug. – Let me know when you get home, please. He added, giving her a tender kiss on the forehead and walked them to the door.

The next morning Maya woke up with a horrible headache, after opening her eyes slowly and stretching she suddenly remembered the events of the night before and felt her blood boiling again. She needed to forget about it, she needed to run. "Eyes forward, eyes forward all the time," she kept repeating to herself as she ran along her usual path. She was so engrossed that she didn't feel the time, after almost two hours of running she decided it was time to go home and face reality, no matter how much it hurt.

When she entered the door, she immediately felt the smell of French toast that invaded the place, when she looked up she met the brown eyes that had hypnotized her from the beginning and the smile that brightened her days, but this time the brightness in those eyes was not present and the smile did not occupy her whole face, a series of emotions went through her at that moment. For a millisecond she felt relieved and happy but immediately the anger, disappointment and all the insecurities she felt the day before came back suddenly and with more force.

- What are you doing here? She said as she finished entering her apartment, avoiding Carina's sad eyes.

- Maya, we need to talk. Carina said, walking away from the kitchen to get closer to Maya.

- I told you I didn't want to talk. Maya added.

- Maya, please. Interrupted Carina. - Let me explain everything, let me clear up this misunderstanding, please.

- Why did you hide it from me? Maya whispered without taking her eyes off the floor. - I thought you trusted me, Carina. But you couldn't tell me that your best friend, who stays in your apartment, and you used to sleep together.

- I know and I'm so sorry. Carina exclaimed, leaning closer to Maya. – I didn't mean to make you feel bad or insecure. But now I realize I was stupid; I should have told you everything from the beginning. Added Carina taking the blonde's hands in hers. – Can you look me in the eyes please. Carina begged. Maya refused for a few seconds until she slowly looked up, meeting again the sad gaze of the Italian. – Gabriella is my best friend, we have been for years and yes there was one or two sexual encounters between us, I'm not going to lie to you, there were many actually. Carina added, making Maya stir a little, uncomfortable with the revelation. – But it was just that, sex without worries, without commitment. You Maya, you are more than just that, with you I feel something special, a connection I haven't felt with anyone before, and I don't want to lose it for something like this. I trust you Maya, I really do, if I didn't tell you, it was because I thought I was protecting you, but I was wrong, you deserve my total sincerity. And I understand if you don't want to go through with this and I will respect your decision, but Maya please, please forgive me.

Silence took over, Carina felt like her heart was going to burst out of her body, she was angry at herself for hurting Maya and she was terrified at the thought of losing her because of a stupid mistake. The silence wasn't making things any easier for Carina, a million possible responses from the blonde ran through her head. Until the blonde's voice broke the silence.

- Carina, I... I don't... I don't think I can do it.