Ch 2 - Don't Do It

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Alfie. Or Elliot. Or Keira. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

***

The next morning, I stood in the kitchen, stirring my instant coffee, wondering what I was going to do with my day now that my internship was over.

Yesterday's post sat in a pile and I smiled at the sight of a brightly-coloured envelope. I pulled it out, my heart warming at my nephew's clumsy handwriting and the askew stamp. I settled onto the couch and opened the latest instalment from my nephew's newest novel. He'd graduated from giraffes to giant trolls to pirates. 

I read as the sun came up, and when it was over, I immediately penned a review and placed it in a dinosaur-decorated envelope. Back in my room I wrestled the small box from the back of my closet and placed Ryan's letter in with the rest of them. It had only been two months since I'd seen my sister and nephew but I missed them. I needed to go back soon. My memory garden needed tending to.

I heard the front door open and shut, and a moment later Keira's bedroom door creaked and closed, followed by the squeak of bed springs as she fell into bed. Working in the theatre now, her days always seemed to end as mine were beginning. As if on cue, my phone began to ring. I scooped it up and smiled at the caller ID.

"Asha, hi."

"Good morning, Lola." her warm, steady voice greeted me. "I was wondering if you could meet with me today? The Orangery at 9? There's something I need to discuss with you." 

"Of course." I answered, my curiosity piqued. Whatever she needed to discuss, it would put off the job hunt a little longer at least.

***

Asha's office in The Orangery at Kew Gardens was sparse in furniture but rich in plants. She was seated at her desk and gave me a wide smile when I entered. 

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes! Please, sit." She gestured to the metal chair on the other side of her desk and I sat. Asha smiled, sipping her chamomile tea. "I just want to say that the last few months, working with you, have been a treat. It's been a long time since I met a young person with such promise. To that end...I have a new project available for you."

"You're extending my internship?" My heart leapt.

"Not quite." She pulled a file out of a drawer and slid it across the desk. I read the project name and my hands instantly stilled. 

"The Chelsea Flower Show?" I opened the file and found plot schematics. "They've given you another commission? Asha that's huge! Congratulations." This wasn't new, Asha had designed for them before, but it was still an honour.

"Again, not quite. They've given you a commission." My heart stopped. Silence hung thick in the air.

"Huh?" was the only sound I could make. Her rich laugh echoed around the office.

"Every year, the board for the CFS selects a newly qualified designer to present at the show. Their selection is based on performance, recommendation, skill... You've made an impression it seems." Again, I was struck by silence. I looked down at the plot schematics, unsure what to think.

"I don't understand. They want me to design?"

"Yes. If you accept, of course." If I accept. As if there was ever any question. My hand went to my locket, my thumb rubbing over the smooth glass. Mum. I could almost feel her hand on my shoulder, her smile warming me from above. "Now, of course this isn't a paid project so I have a second offer to make. I've been asked to fill in as temporary curator for Kew Gardens and I'm going to need a right hand. It won't be too glamorous and the pay will be terrible but it should get you by. What do you think?"