Ch 11 - Dangerous Thoughts

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Alfie. Or Elliot. Or Keira. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

Trigger Warning! This chapter contains mature themes that some of you may find distressing.

***

Friday night came and Maia and I settled into the scratchy seats of the Piccadilly Theatre. I'd lost count of how many times I'd sat here, pride filling my chest as I watched Keira's creations glide across the stage.

In the two years and four months since coming to London, Keira had quickly risen up through the ranks and was now the head seamstress's right hand. Keira managed a team of apprentices and assistants, creating amazing costumes, but her real passion was design and she was making that dream a reality. 

She'd spent the last year badgering the head of design to give her a chance, and tonight she was finally shooting her shot. The dancers during the second act would be wearing her designs and if I knew Keira, they would be the most elaborate dresses any dancer had ever worn.

I smiled when they stepped onto the stage. I hadn't been wrong. I couldn't tell the difference between a good design and a bad one, but it didn't matter. I watched my best friend's dream come to life, wishing I could be standing in the wings with her, sharing this moment. 

When the show was over, Maia and I hurried backstage to find Keira. The stage crew knew us by now and ignored us as we fell into the flurry of activity. It was like stepping into another world. A world of stage hands, props, costumes, and pieces of set design. Theatre lingo was shouted over our heads, a shorthand language I'd never understand. I stood in the middle of the madness when a familiar squeal greeted my ears. Keira ran at me from across the room and I threw my arms around her. 

"Lo! Did you see? My designs! My actual designs on the stage of the Piccadilly-fucking-Theatre!"

"I saw them! I'm so proud of you, Keira Larson." I squeezed her tight. She squealed again and jumped up and down, forcing me to jump with her. She pulled back, her face flushed and bright.

"The cast are taking me out to celebrate. You have to come too and - Oh, hi Maia!" Her excited gaze darted behind me where our roommate stood. "I didn't see you there! Would you like to come too?"

Maia looked at me, uncertainty shining in her eyes. This wasn't really her crowd.

"I'm going but you don't have to, I know it isn't your thing." I smiled, hoping she'd come too and loosen up a little. Maia looked like going out drinking with a bunch of extroverted theatre buffs was the last thing she wanted to do but to my surprise, she nodded.

"Yeah, I'd like to come." She offered Keira a small smile, "Congratulations, by the way. Your designs looked great."

"Thank you! Alright!" Keira shouted, turning to the throng of people surrounding us. "Now, who do I have to fuck for a cosmo?" She laughed at the roaring response and I shook my head. My best friend could liven up a funeral.

"Uh Miss Larson?" A tall, thin man with neat, grey hair approached her. Keira spun, beaming at him.

"Clive!" Clive? As in Clive Warrick? I'd heard her say that name a thousand times - he was the head designer and...was this guy wearing a cravat? "Didn't I say I was talented? Tell me those costumes didn't blow your mind. You'd be a fool not to give me a job now." 

"Humble as ever, I see. I'll speak with your senior to work out a schedule for you. I'd like to have you shadow me for a few months, see how you do." Keira squealed once more and kissed the distinguished man on the cheek.