Part 6: Thank-You

She recognized him immediately. It startled her that she had missed him for so long. Human Rights Politics was just dismissed when he pulled his backpack over his shoulder and walked out of the room. Had he really been in her class the whole time? How had she not noticed? This boy was like a ghost, appearing and disappearing whenever he felt like it.

She hurried out of the classroom, down the steps then out into the sun but he was gone. She started walking to the dining hall, agreeing in her mind that if he wasn't there, she would stop looking before it got creepy.

She scanned the tables when she got to the cafeteria, locating him in the back, practically invisible if you weren't looking for him. She crossed the room and stood in front of his table, annoyed she had had to work this hard. He glanced up, an easy grin on his face.

"Yes?"

"You didn't let me thank you Friday night." He raised an eyebrow. Willa felt her cheeks getting hot. "So, thank you."

"You're welcome."

She didn't know what to say now, still a little annoyed she practically had to chase him through campus just to say two words to him. He seemed to notice her inner conflict but didn't say anything. He just watched her, calmly, but no longer concerned.

"I just," she had to stop because she didn't know what to say.

"Would you like to sit down?" He finally asked, nodding to the chair across from him.

Willa hesitated but took the seat, dropping her backpack on the ground. She just stared at the boy across from her for a second before leaning forward on her elbow. "You dived in front of a moving car for someone you don't know."

He shrugged, "I do know you. I saved your apple."

Despite herself, Willa laughed, "that makes no sense."

"It really wasn't as heroic as you're making it sound," Dick started, "I was close and it was a reflex. I probably saw it in a movie or something."

Willa shook her head, still in disbelief, "you have the fastest reflexes I've ever seen."

"Thank you."

"I'm supposed to be the one thanking you."

Dick smiled, "sorry."

"Thank you."

They settled into a silence but Willa didn't feel awkward. He wasn't itching to leave or pressuring her to go away, he just kept looking at her, kindly, calmly, waiting for her next question. The ease he seemed to carry himself with made Willa feel more aware of how she didn't know what to do with her hands, or what to say.

"I didn't know you were in Human Rights Politics," she finally said, "are you a PoliSci major?"

Dick nodded, "for the moment. It's an interesting class. I had the same professor last year for American Government. What about you?"

"Economics but I like political science courses. How have we not met until now if we've been in the same class for a month?"

"I usually keep to myself."

"That's what Chris said." Dick raised his eyebrows, asking the silent question. "Chris is my friend. He was saying that you don't live on campus."

He didn't seem to know what to do with that information. "Oh."

Willa realized it sounded like they were gossiping about him. It must be weird to have everyone know who your dad is. She wondered if he was used to people talking about it, but not to him.

"What did you think of Professor Stine's lecture last week?" He asked her. She smiled, it was the first time in their conversation she wasn't the one asking the questions.

"About superheroes?" He nodded. "I don't know yet. I think everyone, especially our generation, just accepted the presence and benevolence of the Justice League that none of us have ever examined the concept from an ethical viewpoint, you know?"

He nodded again, "it poses some interesting questions."

"Exactly," Willa agreed, "we all love our heroes, and would obviously be devastated if god forbid something happened to them, but think about the fallout if one of the junior Leaguers got hurt? They're just kids." He broke eye contact and looked out the window. Willa sat back, not sure what she said but there was a new stiffness to his jaw. "Um-"

"I've got to head to class," he said, looking back to her and cutting her off. He smiled after seeing the concern in her face. "It was nice talking to you, Willa."

"You too, Dick. See you around." Then he walked out of the dining hall and Willa didn't know if she'd ever had such a confusing conversation before.