Part 29: Meet the Parents

Willa breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Dick pull up in a car instead of his motorcycle. It would not be a great first impression if he showed up on a bike. She rushed out of her room to buzz him in before her parents or brother could beat her to it. Her brother was in the living room watching tv while her parents finished up dinner when a knock on the door signalled Dick's arrival.

"Please be nice," Willa told her family before opening the door. Dick was standing as confident as ever, one hand in his pocket and holding a small bouquet of flowers with the other. In his button up shirt, Willa couldn't help thinking how well he cleaned up. "Hi," she said.

He picked a flower out of the bouquet and handed it to her. "Hi." He glanced at her lips and she smiled, knowing they wanted to kiss but couldn't in front of her parents. She hadn't seen him since school got out for the holidays.

"Mr. and Mrs. Opal, it's nice to meet you," Dick shook both their hands and handed the bouquet to her mom, who seemed charmed with Dick's old fashioned tradition. Her dad was less so but he smiled and welcomed Dick to their home. Adam came in from the living room and shook his hand. "Adam, right?"

Adam nodded, "nice to meet you, man."

"Kids, would you set the table, please?" Willa's mom asked as the oven dinged.

"We're going to be forty years old and mom will call us kids," Adam rolled his eyes but headed to the table.

Dick smiled and followed Willa into the kitchen to get the plates and silverware. "Oh, Dick, you don't have to, you're the guest," Willa's mom called from the oven.

"It's okay, Mrs. Opal, I want to help."

Willa handed him five plates, their fingers touching. "What a suck up."

"And here I was trying to woo you."

Willa laughed and piled the silverware on top of the plates. She led him to the dining table, impressed with his balance. The silverware didn't move from their place on the stack of plates. Why was she still impressed by that kind of stuff? It was normal at this point.

Once the table was set her parents brought over the salad, bread, and meat. They passed the dishes around until everyone had food. "So, Dick, you grew up in Gotham?" Her mom asked.

Willa took a bite to hide her smile. Her parents knew he had grown up here. They knew he lived with Bruce Wayne too. They had already grilled her.

"Yes, up the hill a bit," Dick answered politely.

Her brother laughed, "that's a diplomatic way to put it."

Her parents ignored her brother. "And what are you studying?"

"Political science, although Will outshines me in all our classes," Dick flashed a smile but Willa rolled her eyes. That was definitely not true. He missed so much school she had no idea when he studied but she was sure he was top of the class. He was the smartest person she had ever met. "She told me you're in New York in an MFA program?" Dick asked her brother.

Adam nodded, more than willing to talk about himself. "Creative writing. I was just published in the Brooklyn Poetry Journal."

"That's amazing. The Daily Planet has an annual poetry contest. Are you entering?"

Willa made eye contact with her mom while Dick and her brother talked about writing. She raised her eyebrows, silently asking her mom what she thought so far. Her mom gave her a small nod. It was all Willa needed to know her mom approved. She was so glad, her parents' opinions meant everything to her. She didn't have a ton of experience with boys, and had definitely never felt like this with anyone before, so she was really depending on her mom's view of things.

Her mom gestured to Dick then made a fanning motion, making Willa put her head in her hands to laugh. She knew her boyfriend was hot but her mom also noticing was hilarious. Dick took Willa's hand under the table and covered his mouth with the other but Willa could see his smirk and she knew he had seen what her mom had said. She was never going to hear the end of it from him.

The rest of dinner went better than Willa had expected. She loved her family, but they were protective over her, she was the baby after all. So maybe they were open minded tonight, or maybe Dick had just cranked up his charm, or maybe a combination of both, but the first time bringing a boy home was making for a nice night.

Until her dad cleared his throat. Willa knew he didn't like anyone looking at his daughter so he never thought anyone was good enough. He had been quiet this evening but that was expected. Which was why Willa had a feeling he was going to ruin the light-hearted mood.

"You seem like a very nice young man," he started, "but I worry about Willa being swept up in your world."

"Sir?" Dick asked.

"We live a modest life, Mr. Wayne, which I know is very different from your standard of living. I've seen your kind: spoiled rich boys who think they're entitled to everything, and I won't have you feeling entitled to my daughter."

"Dad-"

"-We may not have a mansion but my family has worked hard, we've struggled. I don't want my daughter swept up in whatever illusion you can paint and then getting hurt. On this side of the hill, people have faced real hardships, Mr. Wayne-"

"Grayson, sir." Dick let go of her hand. He had grown quiet since her dad started talking.

Her dad was shocked. Willa was sure he was prepared for an outburst fitting a trust fund baby, but the calm manner Dick said his name was a surprise. "Excuse me?"

"My last name is Grayson, sir, not Wayne."

"Oh, we thought you were..." her mom trailed off.

"Bruce adopted me when I was nine. He took me in after my parents were murdered. In front of me, actually." That physically shocked everyone at the table. Even Willa. She had known his parents died but she had no idea it was so brutal. "I recognize the privilege I grew up with because of Bruce, but I assure you Mr. Opal I would much rather live in an apartment like this with my parents."

Her parents didn't know what to say. Willa stood, gently touching Dick's shoulder. "Why don't we get some air," she offered.

Dick nodded and stood, placing his napkin on his plate. "Thank you for dinner," he said to her parents. "I hope you're okay with me continuing to see your daughter. I promise I would never hurt her. I also hope I'm allowed to come back some time. Have a good night." He accepted Willa's hand and let her lead him out the door.

"Are you okay?" Willa asked once they were outside. She sat down on the front steps.

Dick sighed, "I'm sorry." He couldn't look at her.

"That wasn't what I asked."

"It was a long time ago, Will."

"That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt."

Dick smirked and finally looked at her, "how are you so wise?"

Willa shrugged, "I read." Dick sat down next to her. "I didn't know," she said quietly.

"Because I didn't tell you." Willa had a feeling it wasn't the only thing he hadn't told her. "I'm sorry I ruined the night." He stretched an arm over her shoulder and she leaned against it.

"Honestly, my dad was concerned with you being an entitled douchebag. And you proved you weren't, so..."

"So you think I'll be allowed to come back?"

"I'd say chances are good."

He leaned down and kissed her gently. "I have to go."

"I figured."

He stood up and walked backwards until he had to let go of her hand then got in his car, shooting her a cheeky wink before driving off. Willa sighed, she had found herself a modern James Dean. She stayed outside for a few more moments, thinking over what had just happened.