Part 7: Undercover

You sure about this, Kaldur" Dick asked for the hundredth time. He was at Kaldur's apartment, the one he used to share with Tula, with Wally and Artemis.

"My mind is made up, Dick," he said in that wise voice of his. The voice that could almost fool Dick into thinking everything was fine. Even if it wasn't. Even if one of his best friends was going into enemy territory on his orders.

Dick laughed at himself. He was the one sending Aqualad undercover, alone, and Aqualad was reassuring him. He tried to put on a stone face but Kaldur could always see through him. He was the closest thing Dick had to a big brother to look up to, to seek advice from, a safety net. Dick hadn't even finished asking when Kaldur agreed to go undercover with Black Manta, his father. The blind trust he had in Dick was heartbreaking.

"Are we sure we don't have any other options?" Wally asked, arms crossed. Artemis rubbed his back absentmindedly.

"This is the most efficient to learn what our enemies are up to," Aqualad answered. They were all gathered in his kitchen, dressed in civies. Any other group of friends would be cooking dinner, watching a game, but they were planning on how to best take down a group of conniving supervillains. Maybe they would have dinner later.

"I don't like this," Wally grumbled.

"None of us do, Wall," Dick said tiredly.

"Whose bright idea was this anyway?" Wally asked, a slim try at a joke. Dick cracked a smile, appreciating the effort even if it made him feel worse.

Artemis let out a humorless laugh, "makes you wish for old times."

"I look back fondly too." Kaldur wrapped his arm around Artemis. She leaned into his side and hugged him, tight. "We still have a few hours, Dick why don't you fill Kid and Artemis in on our run in with the shadows?"

Dick nodded. "Two nights ago Aqualad, Miss Martian, Superboy, and I checked out a team of Shadows hiding out. Fifteen person team."

"What did they want?" Wally asked.

"That's the thing. Nothing. No robberies, kidnappings, or murders reported. They were waiting for us."

"But you have a theory?" Artemis stood up straight and crossed her arms, in hero mode even if she said she was retired.

Dick nodded, smiling. Artemis knew him so well. "I think they were using us as guinea pigs for their new weapons." Everyone's eyebrows shot up. "They had special explosives that looked like they were made to take down Miss M and Aqualad and they fired some sort of gun at SB, but it didn't do anything."

"And their new leader," Kaldur added, "the woman. She was focused on you."

"So the League of Shadows is developing weapons to take us all out. Great," Artemis added dryly.  "Maybe you can put that on your to-do list, Aqualad?"

Kaldur smiled at the joke and nodded. "Of course."

Wally jumped up, "it's not too late to back out."

Kaldur crossed the room to put a hand on his shoulder. "The separation will not last forever, my friends. I'll try to make contact as often as possible."

"Just be careful." Artemis gave him another hug.

Wally was next. Then it was his turn. He reached his hand to Aqualad to shake but accepted his hug gratefully. This whole time, leading the Team, being responsible for everyone, had seemed more doable with Aqualad watching his back.

"If you need out, or help, I'll be right there," he told his friend. Aqualad nodded, still holding his arm.

Tomorrow everything would change.