Part 13: Jacket

"You did not!" Chris exclaimed, crossing his arms to make his point. He was sitting across from Willa, refusing to believe she had been so close to the Freeze attack on Saturday.

"I did too!" Willa had just told her friends about her catching Zatanna. Matt and Kate believed her but Chris was refusing to listen, in denial she had met a hero before him.

"It's true, Chris," Abby chimed in, "her elbow's all scraped up and everything."

"That proves nothing! Were you on the news?"

"It happened too fast for the news crews to get there! And it wasn't just Zatanna who was there. I saw Miss Martian, Wonder Girl, and Robin too." That was the last straw. She watched Chris's heart break as he finally accepted Willa had seen his favorite hero and he didn't. He was a hero fanatic, followed every news article, knew every hero, a real fanboy. "I can show you my elbow," she offered and Chris raised his head.

"Yes, please."

The table erupted in laughter at Chris's expense. A figure caught Willa's attention and she couldn't help the smile that broke out when he met her eyes. She waved him over. Abby followed her sightline and raised an eyebrow at Willa but didn't say anything as Dick approached.

"Guys, this is Dick Grayson," she introduced as Dick stood behind Willa's chair, "we're in Human Rights Politics together."

Matt looked as starstruck as a twenty year old can. His dad was an investment banker, so he'd probably grown up hearing stories about the great Bruce Wayne. Meeting his kid must be surreal. Adopted kid, she reminded herself.

"Wow, so nice to meet you, man," Matt said as he stood up to shake his hand. "I'm Matt. Matt Yeon."

"Very nice to meet you," Abby purred, giving him a good look up and down. Willa hit her arm with her elbow, eliciting a "what?" which just caused Willa to roll her eyes. "I'm Abby," she told Dick. The rest of the table went around, introducing themselves. "Our dear Willa was just explaining how she met some heroes over the weekend."

Chris groaned, "stop rubbing it in."

"A League fan?" Dick asked and the whole table groaned. Here we go.

"I'm more than a fan," Chris declared, "they're my idols. One time when I was fifteen, Batman stopped my car from getting stolen. It's my dream to meet him. Him and Miss Martian."

"Which Willa did Saturday."

"I only saw Miss Martian. I met Zatanna," Willa corrected.

"Miss Martian isn't in the public light a lot," Dick said, "interesting choice for a favorite. I totally get it, she's just not a popular pick."

"What can I say, any girl that can look hot while green and bald is a goddess." The table laughed, with most of them agreeing. Miss Martian was a badass.

"You know who I miss?" Kate asked, "Kid Flash. I had the biggest crush on him."

"Yeah, where did he go?" Matt agreed. "Used to see him all the time with Flash."

"Growing up I crushed so hard on Robin," Abby mused.

"What?" Chris exclaimed, "how did I not know this?"

"He was what, thirteen, fourteen, when we were ten? He was older, mysterious," she shook her head, remembering. "What about you, Willa, who's your favorite?"

"At the moment?" She paused for dramatic effect. "Zatanna."

Her friends groaned while she exchanged a look with Dick. Somehow he had automatically known she hadn't told her friends of their date; that she wasn't ready to talk about what they were, just yet. She appreciated it.

"That's a cool jacket, Willa," Dick pointed out cheekily.

Willa felt her face drain as she realized she was wearing Dick's blue jacket from last week. She had forgotten she was wearing it when she called him over. How embarrassing.

"That's what I said,"Abby lifted part of the material, "it looks custom. The oversized fit is so cute on you."

"Thanks, Abby." Willa put her head in her hand, deliberately avoiding Dick's eyes. She already knew he was teasing her, she didn't need to see it too.

Matt checked his phone and jumped up. "I gotta go. See you guys later."

"I'll walk with you," Dick said as Matt pushed his chair in. The actual heart eyes emoji was Matt's face at the statement. He couldn't even form sentences, he just nodded enthusiastically. "It was nice to meet you guys. See you in class, Willa."

"Bye." She waved goodbye. She took her phone out once Matt and Dick were almost at the exit and pulled up her and Dick's conversation. I can totally give it back, I promise I won't get offended if you want it back, she texted.

It looks better on you, less than a minute later. She smiled and blushed, not used to getting compliments from him, even if she doubted the truth of it. She had seen him wear the jacket. She put her phone down and rejoined the conversation. Abby just looked away and took a sip of water.

"What?" She asked Abby.

"Oh, nothing," Abby smirked.