Part 15: Saturday Night

"Ready?" Willa took aim and tossed a grape across the table. Dick leaned his chair back, almost tipping it all the way over, but he caught it in his mouth. "Oh my god!"

"That was an awful throw," Dick said, chewing the grape.

Willa sat back, offended, "it was not. It was challenging on purpose."

Dick rolled his eyes, "yeah, okay." He tossed another grape into the air, perfectly straight, and caught it in his mouth, shooting Willa one those charming smiles she hated.

"I'm done," she said and stood up, stacking her dinner plates together. She walked to the dish dump, ignoring Dick laughing behind her. The sound of his laugh made her smile, it was just so infectious. "Do you usually eat dinner here?" Willa asked. She couldn't remember ever seeing him in the dining hall for dinner.

"No." They walked past rows of empty tables. It was almost nine, a late dinner for sure, and coupled with the fact it was saturday night, the dining hall only had a couple of tables filled. Dick pushed open the door for her. "Don't you usually eat dinner with your friends?"

"It seems I've been missing more of those lately," she winked, "not that I'm complaining." She brushed her fingers by his on the door handle. The newness of it still hadn't worn off yet. "Abby and them decided to hit a bar then a house party tonight."

"You didn't want to go?"

"Not really."

He caught her hand and pulled her closer. A night breeze rustled the leaves in the trees they walked by. Not for the first time, Willa wondered if Dick could read minds. He anticipated things she wouldn't even ask for. Like when they left the dining hall, she got cold, and he pulled her into him before she shivered. He was always doing things like that.

They walked back to her dorm in comfortable silence. As she expected, her room was empty when she flicked on the lights, Abby probably had just left. Willa took her shoes off at the door, Dick followed her lead and pulled his sweatshirt over his head to set on her desk.

She grabbed her laptop and tossed it onto her bed, using her dresser to climb up after it. The beds in the dorms were built to have storage under so they were tall, too tall to just sit on. Dick, however, seemed like he just hopped on.

"What?" He asked when she stopped moving.

"What a showoff."

He laughed and scooted back to lean his back on the wall the side of her bed rested against. She followed suit, their shoulders pressing against each other while she pulled up Netflix. "What did we decide on?" She asked.

"Nothing like that," he made a face as her cursor rested over a Batman movie.

"Do you have a home theater?" She asked while she scrolled. She saw him nod out of the corner of her eye. "That's so cool. What about this one?" She pointed at a comedy.

"Perfect."

She looked over to his sweatshirt on her desk, the Gotham Academy logo on it. He followed her gaze. She turned back, smiling. "You went to Gotham Academy." He nodded, unsure where she was going with this. "I bet you looked adorable in the uniform." He groaned and looked away, but she saw his smile. "Do you have pictures? My brother had a friend who went there and it was so cute. The tie especially." He stayed silent but his cheeks turned a little pink. "Oh my gosh, you do have pictures!"

"Even if I do, you're not seeing them."

"Oh, come on, I won't make fun, promise."

She held his gaze until he sighed and pulled out his phone. She leaned over and covered her mouth with her hand when he showed her a picture of him and a blonde girl at Gotham. Except this was obviously before puberty, because it was baby face Dick, at least a foot shorter, but the same eyes and smile.