Part 34: Gala Fight

All hell broke loose soon after. A surge of people started running in Dick and Willa's direction, screaming at something from the other side of the room. Willa gasped and turned into Dick's chest as the crowd pressed in from all sides. She felt Dick hold her tight, one arm across her back and the other on the back of her head, using his body to keep her from falling.

When there was room to breathe, Willa turned back around, her eyes widening at the sight of giant green vines crawling across the floor and the ceiling. She turned to tell Dick to run but he was already pulling her away from the danger, not a second too late as an explosion went off from the direction of the vines.

Willa dived forward, certain they were still close to the blast zone and felt Dick on top of her, shielding her but she could still feel the wave of heat. Dick shrugged off his jacket, stomping out the flames and picking Willa up to her feet.

"Jesus, Harley! Watch where you throw those things!" A voice yelled.

"Poison Ivy," Willa gasped, seeing the telltale green skin and pink hair raising a vine towards them.

"And Harley Quinn," Dick grumbled, pulling Willa around a corner, "we have to get out of here."

"I'll take that, thank ya very much," she heard Harley Quinn's distinctive voice say as they ran down the hall.

The ground shook as another explosion went off, causing another uproar of screams. Willa tried not to think about the people caught in the blast. They reached a small gathering around an exit door at the end of the hall. The stairwell must be on the other side but a couple men were pouding on the door uselessly.

"It's stuck!" One cried, fighting tears. "We're all going to die!" More screams from the wealthy people.

Willa looked at Dick expectantly as the sounds of things crashing got closer. Dick plucked a hairpin out of Willa's hair and forced his way to the front. He felt the pressure points of the lock and pressed the pin into it, jimmying it enough to burst through with his shoulder. Everyone rushed through as Dick held the door. He caught Willa's arm, hurrying her through.

"Everything in the bag!" Came from behind them.

Willa stopped, forcing Dick to also stop and look back at her. He looked like he wanted to throw her over his shoulder and carry her out, honestly. "There are people still in there!"

"I know, but I have to get you out-"

"Dick," she grabbed his arms, "they need help. Go."

Confusion crossed his face but he stopped fighting her and nodded. "Get outside. Now. Don't stop for anything, got it? I'll lead as many people out this door as I can." She barely finished nodding before he was off, running back the way they came. Willa did as he said and ran out the door.She only made it down one flight of steps before halting at the sight of a gun pointed at her.

"Hey, sweetheart, why don't you give me your jewelry?" The gorgeous woman with a mask and cat ears said from behind the gun. Willa knew it was Catwoman from the news reports, even if she was wearing a gala gown instead of a catsuit. She must have been hiding in the crowd waiting for the right time to rob people. She heard the sound of footsteps running down the staircase retreating, probably the other people running away after giving away all their money and jewels.

Willa raised her arms in surrender, pulling off her bracelet where Catwoman could see. Catwoman held out a hand and Willa handed it over. "It's not-"

"-Worth anything. I can see that," Catwoman scoffed, tossing it back. "How did you get an invite to this thing?" Catwoman lowered the gun, "get out of here kid, you're no use to me."