Part 26: Batman Patrol

"You're late," Batman said as Nightwing landed silently behind him. He couldn't argue, he was late. Saying goodbye to Will had taken a little longer than he expected then it took a few minutes to... settle. And get changed. Then make his way over here.

So Nightwing knelt beside Batman and took in the scene below them. Joker's goons patrolling the building. A chemist was being held captive inside, making whatever concoction Joker wanted. It was a standard get in, get out op. Batman and Nightwing had done countless hostage rescues over the years. They didn't need words to communicate, so the subtle signal Batman gave to move was understood completely. They jumped off the roof simultaneously, falling in different directions. Batman swung down and burst through the front doors, drawing fire while Nightwing snuck in the window and snuck along the ceiling to find the hostage.

There were two, a man and a woman. Both were ducked under a table housing medical supplies and monitors. The sound of gunfire and Joker's distinct laugh came from the floor below. Nightwing dropped down, unnoticed by anyone. The woman and man jumped when Nightwing touched their shoulders. He motioned for them to stay silent and reached for the woman, holding her close and shooting his grapple to the ceiling, flying into the air and out the window.

"Thank you," the woman said, still clinging to Nightwing, physically shaking.

"Why did Joker take you?"

"New serum," the woman answered, "he wanted us to stabilize a combination of chemical formulas. Jeff is-"

"I'm on it." And Nightwing was back in the air in no time.

"You didn't bring me another Robin?" Nightwing heard the Joker cackle, "I've seen the little one running with the hero team. Might have to pay him a visit soon-" The sound of an explosion cut the Joker's taunting off. Nightwing had to hurry and get the man out of danger. And then Nightwing had to make sure Batman didn't lose it.

It was all going fine until someone spotted the white lab coat of the man just as they reached the open window and opened fire. The man cried out and Nightwing let go of the line to avoid getting shot. He dropped the twenty feet and rolled when he hit the ground, keeping the man in his arms, keeping him injury free. A little dusty but injury free.

"Thank you, Nightwing," the man gasped. Nightwing nodded and the scientists took off running in the direction of the sirens. Then Nightwing joined the fight.

"What about Batgirl, Bats? Where's she tonight? Pretty little thing-" Nightwing swung and kicked the Joker in the jaw before he could finish that sentence. He wanted his family out of that monster's mouth. He flipped and twisted through the air, taking Joker's henchmen's weapons as he went, striking when necessary. Batman focused on Joker while Nightwing took care of the rest.

"You brought the original Bat Brat," Joker growled and wiped the blood from his mouth, "most annoying of them all."

"Aw, Joker you always make me blush," Nightwing called and punched a man in the face.

"How about I make you bleed?" Joker aimed his gun at Nightwing but Batman took it and broke it over his knee.

A shadow above distracted Nightwing. It was quick, barely there, but he knew he saw something. But what could it-

His thoughts were interrupted by someone hitting him in the side, sending him rolling. He landed on his feet, facing the new opponent. He grunted as he stood but resisted holding his side. He didn't need the adversary to know they had hit him on his already bruised ribs from his fight with Black Beetle. The new figure was the same woman from months ago. She was as menacing as before, and she circled him, her movements graceful, confident in herself.

"Who are you?" He asked and dodged a kick, returning one but only hitting air. She was fast.

She charged and went to kick both her feet into his chest but Nightwing crossed his arms, blocking the attack but the force still sent him a few feet back. "Lady Shiva," she smirked and charged again.

She was faster than any Shadow he had faced, including Batman. He blocked as much as he could but she landed the occasional hit. He caught her wrist and twisted, connecting his elbow to her face to gain a moment to breath. Now he did hold his side. His ribs were throbbing. All her landed hits had connected with his already weak side. It couldn't be an accident.

"So why are you so obsessed with me, Lady?" Nightwing asked as he dropped to the floor and kicked a leg, faking her out before hitting her in the gut. She caught his fist with both her hands and spun around, landing a kick to his jaw, following him to the floor and straddling his waist, digging a knee into his side.

"You should be honored to die by my hand," she purred and held a knife to his throat. Nightwing jerked his head up and headbutted her, taking a cut to the neck but distracting her long enough to roll her off.

"Don't take it personally, but I've heard that one before." He didn't have a second before she was on top of him again, but now she had a knife. Nightwing only had time to block instead of attacking.

He grunted when he blocked the blade before it connected with his eye socket but cut his hand instead. She brought a knee up, hitting his side again. If he didn't end this soon she would break his ribs. He kept hold of her wrist and spun them both around, picking Lady Shiva up and flinging her across the room. He watched her body hit Joker's, taking them both down. She glared at Nightwing and threw a smoke bomb on the ground, using it to get them both out of the building.

Batman finished tying up the henchmen then both of the heroes took their cue to leave as the police showed up. Nightwing landed a little less gracefully than at the beginning of the night. He leaned against the brick and held his side.

"Let's get you back to the Batcave," Batman said and called the car.

"I'm fine," Nightwing said. It wasn't the worst pain he'd been in. Batman gave him a look that told him it didn't matter.

"Who was that?" Batman asked on the drive.

"Lady Shiva. That's the second fight she's shown in. Second time she's gotten away." It was also the second time she had only been focused on him. It didn't make sense. The League of Shadows had beef with Batman, so it was clear why she attacked Nightwing the first time, but tonight Batman was here. It would've been logical to go after him.

"How's your side?"

"I'll live. She must have heard about my fight with that thing though; it can't be a coincidence she knew where to hit me."

"Did Blue Beetle have any information on this new Beetle?"

"None. Impulse had a reaction though."

"Keep an eye on those two."