Part 25: Neon Party

Chris and Matt were chilling on Willa's bed, sipping their cups while the girls finished getting ready. Music was blaring and alcohol was flowing. Abby had just finished Willa's makeup when a knock on the door signalled Dick's arrival. Willa opened the door and was once again struck with how attractive her boyfriend was. Maybe time apart does make the heart grow fonder. Dick did a quick glance over her body and seemed to have the same thought because he leaned in and kissed Willa a little too long to be a hello peck. Willa's cheeks were burning by the time he pulled away and she ushered him into her dorm room.

"Dick!" Abby flung herself into his arms, her curls bouncing as he caught her. Lia just went for a regular hug and the boys went for fist bumps. "Would you like any glitter, Grayson?" Abby asked. Lia laughed and pulled him into the makeup chair before he could respond. He shot Willa a look for help but Willa just laughed as Abby framed his eyes with glitter. He didn't look happy but he looked very pretty. "Okay, let's go!" Abby declared and the group headed out.

It wasn't a long walk to the frat house but Willa was wearing a one shoulder neon orange top and skinny jeans. Cute, but not great for the cold walk over. Dick pulled her close and rubbed her arm. "When are you going to start wearing a jacket?" He teased.

Willa leaned her head against his shoulder, "isn't that what you're for?"

"Touche." They walked in a comfortable silence, content with listening to the group a few steps ahead of them. "Hey," Dick started, his voice a little lower, "I'm sorry I haven't been around a lot. I'm not trying to ignore you."

"Really?"

"Of course not."

Willa blinked, expecting more explanation but none came. She sighed and turned her head. It seemed like this was how Dick always talked, only the bare minimum amount of information, nothing less, and definitely nothing more. She didn't think he was seeing another girl or anything, she wasn't that insecure, she could just tell when something was bothering him. "You know you can talk to me, right?" She finally asked. "I love talking about movies and school and dumb shit but I can handle the real stuff too."

Dick closed his eyes briefly and hugged her a little tighter, "I know." She could tell he wanted to, and yet... nothing.

She decided to drop it, she was reassured she hadn't done anything to make him want space and she couldn't force him to talk if he didn't want to. At least he knew she was here if it got too much for one person. She reached up to her shoulder and caught his hand, giving him her silent support. Dick glanced forward, seeing their friends still facing forward, engrossed in their conversation and stopped walking to kiss Willa again. She broke away giggling. Where was this urge to kiss her coming from? That was twice now that her friends might have seen, yet Dick didn't seem to care. He shook his head in amusement at Willa's reaction and continued walking.

Once they were inside the party there was no more talking. It was impossible to hear anything over the music and the thudding beat. They all made a chain and held hands so no one got separated until they made it to the drink station. Chris handed down drinks and soon they made their way through the thick sea of people in the living room/dance area near the speakers. Willa held tight to Dick's hand and pulled him through, finishing her drink with the other. She was ready for some harmless fun, she had spent the last week studying for midterms, it was going to be nice to forget about school for a bit. She spotted Abby and Lia on a table, shaking their asses to the beat and laughing their heads off.

Willa finally found a smidge of space and claimed the spot, pulling Dick close to fit in the small area. She wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on her tiptoes to get her lips close to his ear. "IS THIS OKAY?" Dick smiled and nodded. Willa could feel the alcohol making its way into her system, relaxing her. It didn't take much to get her buzzed. She decided to roll with the additional confidence and turned around, pressing herself into Dick's front and started moving with the beat.

There was a fraction of a second pause from Dick, probably surprised by Willa's brazenness but he didn't seem to mind, Willa noted. His hands found her hips and moved with her. Now they looked like every other couple on the floor.

Dick moved the hair on her neck to the side and leaned down to kiss her throat, sucking gently. Willa closed her eyes and sighed, leaning her head to the side to give him easier access. She loved it when he kissed her neck. She could feel him smirking against her skin, knowing how much she loved it.

She turned back around and pressed her body against his, pulling him down into a deep kiss. She was too buzzed and the lights were too dark to be concerned with being embarrassed at kissing like this in public. Here, they were just faces in a crowd. It was the most fun Willa had had at a frat party in a while.

They moved their lips together, fully making out. His hands dropped from her hips to her ass and Willa laughed, surprised but not upset. It seemed Dick had missed her more the past few weeks than she originally thought. She thredded her fingers through his hair. God, she loved his hair. She broke the kiss, breathless, because her calves were getting tired from being on tiptoe for so long but she didn't move away, just went back to dancing with him.

He pulled away suddenly, annoyance crossing his face. He pulled out his phone and Willa already knew what was about to happen. He took her by the hand and pulled her to a relatively quiet hallway  in comparison to the dance floor, apology written in his eyes.

"I have to go," he said.

"At one in the morning?" Willa pressed, disappointed. Where in the world did he have to go?

"I," Dick started and just offered another apology, "I'm sorry, Will. Let me take you out tomorrow."

So no explanation. Again. "Be careful," she finally said.

He leaned in and kissed her in what was supposed to be a goodbye kiss but quickly escalated. Dick pressed her back into the wall behind her as her hands found his biceps. The lean muscles of his arms held her firmly but gently in place as they made out until Dick stepped back, leaving Willa breathless, again, and Dick still a little frazzled. They smiled at each other and Willa shook her head, sure she was blushing.

"Let me get you to your friends," Dick said into her ear and the two of them made their way to the table Lia and Abby were on top of. Dick picked her up and set her on the table like it was nothing, giving her hand one last squeeze as another apology then he was gone. Literally. It seemed like he melted into the crowd and disappeared. Willa completely lost sight of him in what seemed like a second. Weird. Abby grabbed her hips and started grinding on her, distracting Willa before she could think about it more.