Chapter 1 - The Tests

It's been 3 years since Keith met Lance. Soon they'll know their status, they both think Lance is a beta, but neither of them knows what Keith is. He can act shy and likes to be pampered like an omega, but he also has the calming vibe of a beta. Plus, he can act very dominant and protective like an alpha. The two boys currently go to the same middle school, so they would be there when their statuses were announced.

 One day, a man came to their school, Takashi Shirogane. He was from The Garrison and was there to see if anyone was fit or interested in being part of the military. They all played a videogame as a test where you had to hit the targets, and the leaves got progressively harder. Lance excelled in the sharpshooting part, and Keith had the highest score in every part, hand-to-hand combat, sharpshooting, decoding, stealth, etc. 

As Keith was taking the last of the categories, decoding, he overheard the teacher say he wouldn't fit in with the other at The Garrison once he was a "discipline case." Of course, this pissed Keith off. He already long passed the previous high score in decoding, so he threw the level he was on and ran away. More like, he drove away, in Takashi Shirogane's car. 

A few hours later, Keith was walking out of the Juvenile Detention Center with Shiro by his side, as he got Keith out of trouble. This confused Keith, then Takashi explained how he saw a lot of potential in Keith and told him to be at The Garrison with the other students who were excepted. Pretty soon, Keith and Shiro are hanging out more and more, and Lance felt left behind. 

~Time skip~

The students still had normal middles school classes along with training, but today they had the entire day off due to one thing and one thing alone. Today, they would earn their status. The students made a line in front of a person from the medical division. They had their status checked by having a small needle poked into the scent glands on their necks to draw some blood and to expose their scent. 
"Name?" The medic asked.
"James Griffin."
She turned his head to the side to better expose his scent glands and poked them with the needle. His scent quickly filled the room, but only for an instant before she recorded his status (alpha) on her sheet of paper and put a band-aid on the wound. 

"Name?" 
"Lance McClain." 
She poked Lance's gland with the needle, and his scent filled the room. There were quite a few gasps, and Lance's eyes winded. He was an omega. Lance walked back to his seat and sat down, not knowing what to do. He didn't want to be an omega. Everyone would treat him differently. He hated that he was an omega. He was so lost in thought that he didn't even realize everyone else had already had their status revealed and there was one more person left. Keith.

"Name?"
"Keith Kogane."
She poked his glands, and everyone gasped, even the teachers and medic herself. An overwhelming scent filled the room, demanding attention and respect. 
"You're- you're a, a pure-blood alpha," the medic said with awe.
"What's that? They didn't teach us about those." Keith asked quizzically.
"A pure-blooded alpha is like an alpha among alphas. Your alpha voice can command other alphas, but that's about all we know about them. They are said to have other abilities, but there are so few, there hasn't been one in hundreds of years. They were thought to have gone extinct!" The medic exclaimed. Everyone eyed Keith, even the teachers. It was clear they weren't happy about this news, and that they didn't trust him. 

Everyone was dismissed for the day. Lance went up to Keith and threw his arm around Keith's shoulder, asking if he was okay.
"Me, what about you? I know you don't want to be an omega. Your scent is a dead giveaway."
Lance didn't know how to respond. No, of course he wasn't okay. But, how could Keith smell his scent? A sense of smell like that won't develop for a few more months, so how was Keith able to tell, especially when Lance was keeping his scent under control by distracting himself? 

Before he could answer though, a group of officers approached the two boys.
"Keith Kogane, you need to come with us." 
Keith and Lance exchanged a look.
"It's okay Lance, I'll be back before you know it. After, we can hang out and watch the sunset later, okay?"
Keith walked to the group of officers and left with them, looking back at Lance one last time to give him a reassuring smile. 

A few days later, after Keith was not coming back, their teacher informed the class that he was adopted by Shiro and moved away. Lance was confused, this was so out of the blue, but everyone else bought in because they knew how close Keith and Shiro were. But Keith wouldn't leave without saying goodbye. But there was nothing Lance could do. Keith never responded to his texts or picked up his calls, it was like he and Shiro disappeared.

Word count: 869