Chapter 3 - A New Life

Keith had the distant feeling of moving. He slowly came to and could feel he was sitting strapped in. Memories came back about what the Admiral said, what had happened right before he passed out, more like before he was choked out. He was faking still being out cold for about a minute before one of the Blades caught on.
"Damn, you're pretty good at faking. How long have you been awake, kid?" 
Keith opened his eyes and looked up, knowing that the Blade could tell he was faking, and trying to wait him out would be pointless. 
"'Bout a minute. Surprised it took you that long to notice, though. So much for 'elite soldiers,' or whatever." 
The Blade didn't respond.

Shiro elbowed Keith from the left and shot him a glare. 
"Ya know, one of these days, that mouth of yours is gonna get you in serious trouble."
"If I recall, it already has," Keith said with a sideways grin. 
"You're insufferable."
"Hey, I'm not the one who volunteered to be here, remember? Or, is your memory starting to go, old-timer?"
"OLD TIMER!?" Shiro exclaimed with a look of shock.

"Hey, where's my knife?" Keith suddenly remembered the leader took it from him, and he didn't feel it in its sheath.
"If you truly want it back, you need to earn it back." There was no room for argument, not when he spoke, to the leader.
So instead, Keith said, "I never caught your name."
"Kolivan. The one who choked you out is Regris. The one who laughed is Antonk, and the other is Thace. When we got to the base, you will also meet Ulaz. There is another member of our unit, but she is on a mission at the moment. You will also be joining our unit, as the seventh."

An uncomfortable silence filled the ship, and Keith finally looked out the window. His eyes widened and his mouth opened slightly. The view. The pictures were nothing compared to the real thing. There were stars everywhere. And the colors, Keith would have to mix all kinds of paints to get these colors. Maybe, maybe this wasn't so bad after all.

~Time skip~

A bright blue light filled the ship, making both Keith and Shiro look out the window. A look of worry and panic crossed their faces, which made the Blade members chuckle. 
"What is that?" Shiro asked, trying to keep the alarm from his voice, not entirely succeeding.
"That would be two Black Holes and a giant Blue Star. Just inside of a Black Hole, the temperature is one-millionth of a degree above absolute zero, but just outside of that, it's hundreds of millions of degrees Celsius. Our base is located in between those three deadly celestial objects. The perfect defensive position," said one of the Blades, Regris, if Shiro recalled. As Regris said this, Kolivan pulled up an image and zoomed in until the base was seen.
"Great," Keith muttered under his breath, Shiro shooting him another look.
"I apologize for him, he isn't usually like this."
"No need to lie, we did extensive research on him before we agreed to take him in." 

The ship stopped a ways away from the celestial objects, some sort of timer coming up on the screens. 
"What's the timer for," Keith asked.
"To make sure we don't get killed. If we don't time it right, with the solar flares and all, and stay on the correct route to the base, then the gravitational pulls from both the Black Holes and the Blue Star will either crush us into infinity or burn us to a crisp. Poof, no more us." Antonk leaned back in his seat, and Shiro could practically see the smug look on his face at Shiro's terror. 
"Sounds like fun." Antonk froze at Keith's words, the determination in the kids' eyes and his smile, ready for the challenge. 

"Huh, weird," Antonk muttered. Somehow Keith heard him when no one else in the ship did.
"Shiro? Yeah, he is pretty weird." 
"How did you hear me?" Antonk was certain of it now, this kid was wack. 
"What do you mean?" 
"Nevermind."
Keith just shrugged, looking back at the timer and watching as they traveled to the base. Antonk kept watching him though, as if he were surveying an opponent on the battlefield. 

Once they landed on the rock, the ship was lowered into the bay. The group got out, and Keith prepared himself for the start of his new life.

Word count: 735