Chapter 10 - Returning To You

It's been months since Keith went on his last mission, and all attempts of communication have failed. The Garrison and the GoE (Government of Earth) weren't too happy about Keith missing the first check-in, let alone the second and third. Shiro was talking with Kolivan about possible next steps to get the two back when Thace ran up to them and told them to follow him. 

They followed Thace down to the hanger, where there was a ship powering off. Two people stepped out, Keith and Krolia, along with a wolf. Keith looked older, and Kolivan knew Krolia told the kit who she is to him. Krolia looked at Kolivan, and she smiled. 

"Old friend." Their entire unit enveloped her in a hug along with Keith, despite his protests. They made their way to Kolivans office, the wolf walking right alongside Keith. Once it was Keith, Kolivan, Krolia, and Shiro in the office, Kolivan asked for the mission report. Krolia and Keith described how the rescue went, the fake coordinates she gave Trugg, all of it.

"Once we were on the ship, I explained to Keith how the weapon was an organic, living organism infused with the unknown shipment of quintessence. I told him the true location of where it was kept was deep in the quantum abyss. We then made our way there ourselves to destroy the weapon, which was taught to hunt anything with Galra blood. It was placed in the abyss because it couldn't tell the difference between friend and foe, but the rebel commander didn't wish to destroy it."

"We made our way to the quantum abyss in the ship we had taken, but creatures from the abyss attacked the ship and it was destroyed. We discovered these other creatures who appeared to know their way through the abyss and caught a ride on the back of one. On the first night there, we were looking for a place to set up camp when a cosmic space wolf pup crashed d not too far from our location. We went to investigate and ended up keeping the wolf. Keith trained him."

"After two years, we were able to find the base on a planet in the abyss where the weapon was contained. We killed the guards and fought the weapon until we were finally able to slay it, and Keith made the killing blow. We used one of the ships the guards had there to get back, and it only took a little over a quintet. Keith has started to get his Galra markings, as well. If I may ask, how much time has truly passed?" 

"Almost four phoebes. Kit, your next check-in is coming up. I would also like you to talk to Thace and Krolia about your markings with a doctor. Krolia, please stay for your mission report about the base. Keith, rest, you are dismissed."

Keith and Shiro left the room and went back to their quarters. Once the door was closed, Shiro enveloped Keith in a hug with a smile on his face. The brothers got caught up, and Keith's wolf warmed up to Shiro instantly. In reality, it's been almost 21 phoebes. 21 months since all this began, and now Keith was 17. He spent two years with Krolia, his mother. In the quantum abyss, they saw things about each other because of weird pulses of energy. They grew closer and formed a mother-son bond. 

The next day, Keith went to see Thace and Krolia to learn about his markings. He already has one on his cheek, and they explained that he'd get more as he matured. Every Galra got more markings as they aged, and the last marking to show would be the biggest and most flashy one. They also explained to him he would be able to turn, which is going from his morning human form to his more Galra form. They explained that he would have more control over turning when all his markings came in, but even then it would take time to control.

~Time skip~

"Do you think he's coming this time?" Hunk whispered to Pidge and Lance as they waited for Keith.
"He should. Their leader said he was back from his mission and would be here," Pidge said without looking up from the device she was fiddling with.
"He better. I need to yell at him! He can't just go on an extended mission and not tell anyone anything! I was lonely!" Lance exclaimed.
"Drama queen," Pidge muttered under her breath. Just then, a ship came into view. "Damn, I got to get my hands on their stealth tech. Their ship didn't even show up on my scanner!" 

The ship landed and out came Keith and Shiro, with two other blade members. One was a female though, she was new. Keith seemed taller, too. He ran right up to Lance and wrapped him in a giant hug. Lance just closed his eyes, crossed his arms, and refused to look at Keith.
"No, I'm mad at you." Lance refused to open his eyes, even when Keith tilted his head. Big mistake, because Keith saw his opening to strike and took it. He tickled Lance on the back of his neck, the only spot Lance is ticklish. Lance's eyes flew open and he squirmed to get out of Keith's hold, both of them laughing. 
"Okay, okay! I forgive you! Hahaha!"

~Time skip~