Chapter 8 - Lance Stays

Keith stood and looked at Lance, not daring to even breathe for fear this was just a dream. Everything and everyone seemed to freeze as the two boys locked eyes, not knowing what would happen next. The guards tried to pull Lance back and out the door of the medical room, but Keith had other ideas. He glared at the guards, warning in his eyes. But they continued to drag Lance away from Keith, so he intervened. 

Keith walked towards the guards, slowly gaining speed as he went. He dully heard Sam warn him not to continue, but he continued because someone was trying to take Lance away from him. Keith grabbed a guard's wrist where it was holding Lance's bicep, leaving a red mark. Keith was pissed at seeing the red mark, he squeezed the guy's wrist as he yelled in pain, letting go of Lance. Keith stepped on the foot of another guard as he rammed his elbow into the guard's face, making him fall. He punched the first guard, hitting his eye with his first and second knuckle, just like Keith was taught. 

He high-kicked the third guard in the neck and temple, knocking him out. As a fourth guard started to approach them, Keith stood in front of Lance and growled at the guard. Everyone froze, Keith heard Thace tell the others to stand down. Some had guns drawn, and Sam was holding a needle at the ready. The rest of the guards stood down, movements slow and making sure Keith could see their hands while avoiding eye contact. Keith slowly calmed down a little himself but refused to let go of Lance. 

Keith backed up to the table while holding Lance's hand, and Lance staying to Keith's side like glue. 
"Keith, I need you to let Lance go." 
"NO! I'm staying with Keith!" Lance yelled while shaking his head and bury his face in Keith's shoulder. 
"Dad, what's going on? Why are you experimenting on Keith?" Pidge asked her father.
"Katie?! What are you doing here? How did you even found out about this?" Pidge blushed a little and looked down at her feet. 
"I uh... sort of... hacked your computer and founder the videos and your notes and stuff. By the way, you should really encrypt individual files and create code names for things to throw people off the trail. It was way too easy once I got past the initial firewall."
"I know! I was going to do that, but people wanted to just have direct access, but I told them-"

"COMMANDER HOLT!" Admiral Sanda yelled. "Kogane, stand down and let go of cadet McClain and get on the table to finish your exam. Guards, take these three cadets to my office and guard the door, both inside and out." 
"You touch Lance," Keith said in a low voice, looking up through his bangs with teeth bared and pupils in slits, "I'll kill you." 

"Admiral, if I may have a word?" Sam asked.
"Fine." The alpha bit out. "My office." 
Pidge and Hunk rushed into the medical room with Lance, but Keith let out a growl before they got too close.
"It's okay, Keith. The small one is Pidge and the big guy's Hunk. They're my friends. I wouldn't have been known you were here without them. You can trust them, I trust them." Keith calmed down and allow Hunk and Pidge closer, happy that Lance was happy.

"What is it, Holt?" Admiral Sanda snapped. 
"Well, the plan was to see how Keith can affect others, and we were originally going to bring in one of the beta doctors, but what if we used Lance, with him being an omega and all? We would have to swear Pidge and Hunk to secrecy, and Lance, of course. But, he and Keith were friends growing up, and I would like to see them interact. Keith clearly cares about Lance, so what would he do for Lance? It could also be a social experiment. We could bring Lance in every time Keith comes. Pidge and Hunk could also help out, they are some of the smartest people I know. Puls, we could continue with the tests originally planned for today."

The Admiral thought about Sam's proposal. "Fine, but make sure he's under control."
"Deal." 

Sam walked back into the medical room where Keith, Lance, Hunk, and Pidge were talking. Well, more like the cadets were talking while Keith was observing. Keith instantly looked at Sam, the warning clear. 
"Pidge, Hunk, I need to ask you to step out while I talk to Keith and Lance. Admiral Sanda will talk with you two in the other room." Pide and Hunk walked out of the room and Sam sat at the desk while Keith and Lance watched. 
"Okay, here's the deal. Lance, you can come back every time Keith comes for his checkups, and you'll have a half-hour to socialize before and after. You can have a half-hour now, but you'll need to step out of the room until we finish. And no telling anyone about this. If you do, there will be severe consequences. Understand?" They both nodded, Lance with a big smile on his face and Keith carefully blackfaced. 

~Time skip~

Sam had tested how strong Keiths scent could get, how much he could suppress it, and how much control he had. How his scent would affect others. Keith was pissed when they brought Lance in for that. He outright refused, they ended up using one of the beta doctors instead. Even for when they tested his alpha voice. Which, Keith also refused to do. It was tiring, and Keith was looking forward to spending time with Lance again.

"Hey!" Lance beamed.
"Hey," Keith returned, his exhaustion showing in his voice and face.
They ended up laying on the table next to each other, and Keith turned on his side to look at Lance.
"Can you just talk to me? About anything you want. I just want to hear your voice."

So Lance talked. He talked and talked and talked. Keith put his head on Lance's shoulder while Lance wrapped his arms around Keith's shoulder and pulled him closer. While Lance talked, Keith reached his hand up and played with Lance's hair. Their legs got tangled up, and Keith started to close his eyes while his breathing evened out.

Lance smiled down at the sleeping boy. The boy who knocked out three guards in less than 20 seconds hours before. The boy who stood up to the Admiral without any fear. The boy who was scared and hiding under a slide in the park when they first met. The boy who is so cute when he sleeps, with his soft lips slightly parted and fist clutching to Lance's shirt. 

Lance ended up spending the night there, as he couldn't pry off Keith's fingers. Keith slept soundly, the night terrors stayed away from him for once. He woke up to the most lovely scent he's ever smelled and was content to just lay there for a while. When he did open his eyes, the first thing he saw was Lance's sleeping face, and he smiled.

Word count: 1184