Chapter 4 - Galra Blood

Shiro, Keith, Kolivan, Antonk, Regris, and Thace were on an elevator exiting the hanger where the ships are held. The three Blads and their Leader surrounded the two newcomers as they walked through the halls. Keith committed the layout and path they traveled to memory, Keith only told Shiro about his eidetic memory, his synesthesia memory, his emotional memory, and his hyperthymestic memory. Basically, having eidetic memory means Keith can remember things by looking at them for a brief instant, like photographic memory. Synesthesia memory means Keith can associate colors, images, and sounds to specific words and letters, and sounds. Emotional memory allows Keith to recall experiences that made him feel a certain way. Hyperthymesia means he has the ability to recall an abnormally large amount of events and experiences in extremely vivid detail. In other words, Keith doesn't even have to try to remember things. Give him a sentence to read, and years later he can recite it word for word without a second thought.

They finally came to an area where many Blades were training, their skills and techniques unique to the individual. 
"This is where new Blade members try out different techniques to best benefit their area of expertise. Some have even made up their own techniques depending on what they specialize in. Some specialize in decoding, others hand-to-hand combat, stealth and infiltration, weapons combat, and so on. We also have many scientists working to further advance the technology we use and much more environmental issues, like global warming/cooling, keeping supposedly extinct species of flora alive, and working to bring them back to their native planets or relocating them without having drastic consequences if necessary. And, of course, fighting the last of the Galra rebels who are trying to bring back the Empire, despite Zarkon and his witch, Hagar, being killed by Lotor." Kolivan went on to explain.

Thace handed Keith a suit similar to the ones the Blades wore and told him to put it on so that they could assess his combat skills and all that. Keith went to a separate room and charged into the suit, ready to face what Kolivan had in store for Keith. They started with the less physical exercises, testing his IQ and ability to decode. They were astonished at his memory, despite having looked at his medical records and being fully aware of his memoratic abilities. It was one thing to read about, but quite another to see it in action. Next, they tested his stealth and then moved on to physical agility. Turns out, Keith is flexible. Not just in the touch your toes kind of way, but in the circus acrobats kind of way. He also has amazing reflexes, enhanced by his agility and quick movements. 

Finally, physical combat. Keith was paired up against Antonk for hand-to-hand combat, as he didn't have his knife. He lasted a decent time, almost a whole five minutes. It doesn't sound like much, but considering most fights last an average of 47-48 seconds until one opponent is down, five minutes is a lot. Of course, he didn't come out untouched. Quite the opposite. He had bruises already forming, but he did manage to get in some hits on Antonk as well, who had a few bruises forming of his own.
"The kid can pack a punch. And a high kick. He's got spirit, doesn't give up, but his sharp mind is what really allowed him to last as long as he did against me. He was able to analyze my movements and physical ability in the middle of the fight. Though, he is not headed and impulsive and quick to aggravate. He has lots of potential, but still much to learn." Antonk conversed with Kolivan.

"Alright kit, that's enough for today. Let your wounds heal before the next test tomorrow. Eat, rest," Kolivan said after approaching Keith. Keith nodded, he didn't want to admit it, but he was tired. Shiro and Keith were showed to their room, they'd be sharing one as Shiro was to keep an eye on Keiths progress and be there for him in general. The two boys unpacked their belongings and arranged the room to their liking. Afterward, Thace escorted them to the dining area and led them to a table that had Kolivan, Regris, Antonk, and another Bladed they didn't recognize. Thace sat down next to the new Blade, who introduced himself as Ulaz and Thace's husband. 

Shiro also noticed that Antonk had his arm around Regris's waist, and was caught looking. 
"Yes, Regris and I are in a relationship. Actually, it's more common for Galra to be in same-sex relationships than opposite-sex ones," he paused, "hope that won't be a problem." 
"Not at all, I'm in a relationship with another guy myself," Shiro said with a smile on his face as he thought about Adam.
"If it's so common, then what about reproduction?" Keith inquired as Shiro choked on his drink. 
"Like you humans, Galra also have Alphas, Betas, and Omegas. Omegas as I'm sure you know can give birth regardless of their gender, which makes them highly valued among galran society. But, due to their nature and the effect they can have on alphas, that aren't overly respected, some are used for breeding alone. We have liberated many omegas who were used so wrongly," Kolivan answered. 
"Humans aren't much better," Keith stated, then continued to eat his meal. Shiro looked at the kid who he thought of as a brother. Who he was allowed to see the vulnerable side of when so few have. He knew Keith was worried about Lance, in fact, so was Shiro. 

They finished their meal and walked back to their shared room. 
"Do you mind if I sleep in just my underwear?" Shiro asked, making sure Keith was comfortable.
"Honestly, I was gonna ask the same thing." 
"Well that answers that question," Shiro replied with a slight chuckle. The boys undressed and took turns in the bathroom before brushing their teeth together over the sink. They crawled into their beds and drifted off, wondering what the future had in store for them.

~Time skip~

Keith was given his knife back for the next and last test, armed physical combat. This is the one that would determine if he would be allowed to keep his knife. Hell would freeze over before he allowed himself to fail this test. That life was the only connection he had to his mother, and it has the same glowing symbol on it as the blades Kolivan and Regris and all the others carry. What does it mean? Was his mother a member? Is she even alive, or die on a mission? Did she steal the knife from a blade? No, if that were true, Kolivan wouldn't give Keith the opportunity to have it back, unless Kolivan was sure Keith would fail...

Keith walked into a spacious room, a trap door opening up in the floor and lifting a masked Bladed. 
"Surrender the blade, you cannot win," the Blade member said as he pulled his own sword from the sheath on his back and moved into a fighting stance. Keith charged him, knife at the ready. Keith swung up, going for the head, but the Blade blocked him and counterattacked. Keith blocked the sword and spun while going for a high kick, but the Blade dodged out of the way. Keith stabbed for the head again but missed as the guy moved to the left. Keith flipped his knife in his hand and swung his arm in the direction of his opponent, who blocked Keith's attack. Keith attached again, but the Blade dodged and grabbed Keith's arm. He punched Keith in the face and chest, sending him flying backward. Keith got up and spun out of range, but didn't have time to tch his bearings. The Blade attacked and attacked, it took Keith everything he had to block the powerful blows at an astonishing speed. 

His opponent's attached became quicker and more powerful, he attacked, Keith blocked but the Blade spun while kicking Keith in the chest. Keith stumbled back, and the Blade cut a gash in Keith's shoulder. He cried out at the pain, gripping the wound while raising his knife at his opponent. He was knocked over again, as he stood the Blade member charged at him. Keith tried to stab at the guy, but the Blade dodged while grabbing Keith's arm and twisting it. The Blade held Keith's arm at a painful angle while pressing his own sword against Keith's neck.

"Surrender the blade, and the pain will cease." 
"I won't quit," Keith panted. 
"Then the pain continues." The Blade let Keith go, allowing him to fall to the floor. 
"You are not meant to go through that door." The Blade stepped aside, allowing Keith to see the door on the other side of the room. He ran towards it. 

In the next room, two Blades rose from the floor. Keith fought them both, but they threw him around like a rag doll. 
"Surrender the blade, and the pain will cease." 
"Never!" 
"You are not meant to go through that door." 

In the next room, Keith faced three Blades. 
In the next, four, five, seven. 
That's when Keith saw it. The door in the floor, the one the Blades have been coming out of. He threw his knife, stopping one of the trap doors from closing. He lowed his way through the first few Blades while they were distracted. He was thrown by one of them in the direction of his knife. Keith grabbed it, slipping into the trap door and letting it close over him. 

Keith walked into a room without any Blades waiting for him, to his relief. 
"Guess I really wasn't supposed to go through that door," he said as he walked, clutching his wounded shoulder. Keith's vision became blurry, his body growing tired and heavy. He passed out before his head even hit the floor. Shiro and Kolivan watched as Keith twitched and moved in his unconscious state. 
"You need to get him out of there," Shiro said, concern for a loved one filling his voice.
"He can decide when to leave." 
"You're messing with his mind. You're going to kill him!" 
"Knowledge or death, Shiro," Kolivan coldly stated.
"I'm calling this off," but before Shiro could leave, Antonk and Regris stepped in his path.

Keith opened his eyes, Shiro ran to his brother.
"Keith, are you okay?" Shiro asked frantically.
"Give me the blade, you failed to awaken it," Kolovan said as he reached out his hand for the knife towards Keith.
"What does that even mean?" Keith asked. 
"Give up the blade!" Antonk yelled as he charged toward Keith, but Shiro intercepted him, his prosthetic arm glowing as Shiro prepared for a fight.
"Wait! Just take the knife!" Keith extended it handle first to Antonk. 
"It doesn't matter where I come from. I know who I am. We all need to work together to defeat the Galra rebels. If that means I give up this knife, fine. Take it." Just then, the emblem on the handle glowed. It glowed brighter and brighter. 

"You've awoken the blade!" Kolivan said as the knife grew into a sword. "The only way this is possible is of Galra blood runs through your veins." 

Word count: 1878

Well, that was a longer chapter.