Chapter 6 - First Mission

Keith was excelling in his studies. Kolivan got the kit's progress report from the members of his unit at the end of each day. His memory helped him a lot, as he could recall practically everything in vivid detail. He was getting stronger, too. Antonk was quite thoroughly impressed with his combat skills. He was tested again and again and aced them all. It was a little concerning if Kolivan was being honest. He was looking at an upcoming mission he was going to send a Blade who specializes in stealth on with a member of their own unit, but thought to see how the kit did with others he's not accustomed to being around. 

"You're sending him on a mission this soon? It hasn't even been two months yet!" Shiro protested to Kolivan and Regris when the two explained Keith's mission to both of them.
"You're right, it hasn't been two months yet, but he will be back in time for his next check-in. He is excelling in all of his studies, and I want to see what he can do. Besides, he hasn't had much socialization outside of our unit, which is a very important aspect of going on missions." 

"But he's still just a kid. If the mission were to go wrong, it could have a major effect on his emotional state as well as physical state. Not to mention he could be killed! " Shiro was saying as if Keith wasn't right next to him.
"I am well aware of this, which is why he is going with one of the more experienced members. Which is why this is just a simple intelligence-gathering mission. Which is why he is to provide backup if needed. Consider it a test." 
"I don't see the harm in it," Keith stated, making eye contact with everyone in the room. Sam had to send over any information gathered from the monthly check-ins to Kolivan for safety reasons. Kolivan could then choose what he wanted to share with Keith if anything at all. Kolivan ended up sharing everything with Keith, it was his body after all. He should be aware of what e can do so that mistakes are t made. 

Keith had changed after learning more about what he can do, more confidant about his overall abilities. More comfortable with himself as he now knew the what to some of his questions. Of course, he still wanted to know the why's and the how's, but that would take time. Shiro sighed, "You know your body and abilities best, Keith. If you truly believe you can do this, then I trust your judgment and respect your decision." And that was that. Keith was going on the mission. 

"When are you leaving?" Shiro asked once they were back in their room, getting ready to settle in for the night. 
"In two quintants. So, about two days. I'll be using the time to train specifically for the mission, but Kolivan said I wouldn't always have that luxury in the future," Keith paused as he was about to take his shirt off, "should I feel, like, trepidation, or something? Anxiety? Something other than how I actually am feeling?" 
"Depends on what you're feeling." Shiro left it there, knowing Keith got the underlined question and would answer it if he was comfortable in doing so.

"I feel... exhilaration," Keith decided and continued to go about his nightly routine. 
"I'm honestly not surprised. Sounds just like you, excited for a possible dangerous mission if it means being able to do something. Different people would have different reactions to this situation. Yours just happens to be different than what the normal would be considered. I don't see anything wrong with that. Your feelings are valid. Some people would want more quiet missions, others would want to be thrown into a high-stakes mission first thing. Just remember, patience yields focus. It's okay to want to do something huge, but you need to be able to take a step back and look at where you are and where you need to be to accomplish your goal, and accurately determine whether or not you're there yet or not." 
"Ya know, sometimes you can really sound like the wise old-timer I know you are." And with that, they slept through the night.

The next day, Keith ended up training more and going over previously learned material in decoding, stealth, both hand-to-Han combat and armed combat, and infiltration. Keith was able to recall all previous lessons and was briefed on the specifics of the upcoming mission. The night before the mission, Keith got ready for the night quickly and sat on his bed. Shiro watched as his brother grabbed a knife and his stone, pouring a little water on the stone and getting comfortable. 

"What are you doing?" Shiro questioned. 
"Sharpening my knife," Keith said as he placed the tip of his blade on the stone and slowly moved it back to the hilt. He repeated the process and eventually turned the blade over to do the other side. When he was finished, he dried off the stone, put it on his desk, and then walked back to his bed. He put his knife under his pillow and reached over to turn off the light.
"Keith, why do you keep your knife under your pillow?"
"'Cause intruders would never expect that. They come in, expecting you to be peacefully asleep, then DAM! You pull your knife out from under your pillow and stab them right in the eye. "
"You're a psycho."
"Yup, the psychos in here, not out there. Well, night!" Keith joyfully exclaimed as he put one of his hands under his pillow, ready to grip the hilt of his knife, and held the blankets with his other.

~Time skip~

Keith was flying the ship while his partner for the mission was preparing their gear and triple-checking everything. After the third time he had asked Keith if he was sure he had sharpened his knife the night before, Keith yelled "YES! I HAVE A WITNESS! NOW LET ME FLY THE QUIZNAKING SHIP!" The Blade left him alone after that until he sat in the copilot's seat. They made it to their destination, Keith landing the ship in a forest, making sure it was hidden from sight. They departed and snuck through the forest and into the city for their mission.

~Time skip~

Keith was piloting the ship back to the main base, the mission a complete success. They got the information they needed, with few encountered guards. When they did come across a guard, Keith would knock them out quickly and quietly, dragging their unconscious bodies to a shadowed corner. The Blades had Keith all the work, actually. He had a suspicion he was ordered to, another one of Kolivans tests. The Blades did try to talk with Keith on the flight back, which he was surprisingly comfortable doing. Overall, it was a success.

"Mission report," Kolivan said to the two of them after Keith's partner handed Kolivan the drive containing the information they gathered. 
"Sucess. I had the kit do all the work, actually. I wanted to see for myself what he was capable of. When we ran into a guard, he was able to keep a clear head and knocked him out quickly, making sure their bodies hit the floor quietly before dragging them to a corner, out of sight. He plots d both to and from, no complaints. He hacked the mainframe and gathered the information, as well as leading the way through the complex. He was fine with socializing with me on the way back, though was pt afraid to let me know when I was getting on his nerves and voiced his opinion. Considering his age and time with us, I am highly impressed and look forward to witnessing his progress in the future." Keith was shocked as his partner said this.

"Excellent, thank you. Kit, good job. Dismissed." 

Keith walked out and back to his room, ready to go to bed for the night. 
"How'd it go?" Shiro asked when Keith walked in.
"Good, really good. I did all the work, but Kolovan didn't order that. It was my partner's decision. Honestly, I'm kinda tired, but happy, glad."
"Well, I'm glad it went well. Now get some rest, you deserve it." 
Keith smiled fondly. "Thanks, Shiro."

Keith was back in the pilot's seat, his partner in the copilot's seat beside him. But, instead of his partner, Lance was there. They were then in the complex, surrounded by guards. Keith couldn't fight them, he didn't notice the shot one of the guards fired at Keith. 
"KEITH!" Lance yelled. Keith turned around in time to see Lance take the shot for Keith and fall, blood leaking from the hole in his chest. The guards disappeared from around them, and Keith cradled Lance in his arms. Lance's eyes were unseeing, chest unmoving. Keith cried. He cried and cried and cried. He couldn't save Lance. He wasn't strong enough, wasn't fast enough, wasn't good enough. Lance had died, and it was his fault.

Keith bolted upright, breathing heavily and tears already in his eyes, pouring down his face. Shiro woke up and turned the light on.
"Keith? Was it another night terror?" Keith didn't trust he had his voice, that he ould speak without his voice breaking, so he just nodded.
"Come here." Shiro opened his arms and scooched over to make room for Keith. Keith climbed out of his bed and walked over to Shiro, climbing into the bed while Shiro covered Keith in his blankets and wrapped Keith in his arms.

"Shh, sh, it's going to be okay," Shiro whispered into Keith's hair as Keith cried silently into Shiro's chest, "I know it felt real, but it wasn't. If you want t, you can tell me about it in the morning. Rest now. You're safe, everything is okay." It took a few hours for Keith to calm down enough to relax and fall into a dreamless sleep.

Word count: 1661