Chapter 12 - A Memory Together

C/W: SAD! I honestly don't even want to warn you. If you don't want a warning, just skip what's in bold here at the top, but some people do have triggers and I should warn.

WARNING: death is a thing, suicide is a thing.

I am so sorry. Well, not really.

Everything hurt. Keith's body felt heavy. He moved his fingers, pain shooting up his entire arm. He was so cold. There were sounds, but everything was muffled and blurred together. Darkness wanted to take him again, and he let it.

"Report," Admiral Sanda ordered Sam.
"He's not shifting back to his human form. Perhaps he needs to be conscious to do that? He was fighting the medication for a while but stopped after we upped the dosage. Blood samples are still running, but there is only so much we can learn from him being unconscious. Perhaps-"

"Like Hell we're waking him up. Run as many tests as you can. The GoE doesn't care if he lives, and neither do I. Dissect him if he dies. Preserve as much as you can, of course."
"And what about Lance? How's he?" 
"In containment. Until he remembers who he serves, he'll stay there."

He needed to get out of here. He needed to see Keith. Damn it! 
"Let me out!" Lance yelled again. No response. Again. Fuck. What were they doing to Keith? Was he even alive? Was he okay? Where was he? Lance whimpered, not knowing what was happening to Keith. He couldn't deny it anymore, Lance loved Keith. Had for a while. Who knows, maybe Keith felt the same. Lance was scared for Keith, and for the first time in a while, he felt alone.

Days passed. Guard came and went with food and water. Lance got a bad feeling. Every second he was stuck here, something bad was happing to Keith. Lance could feel it. They had formed a bond. Something strong and undeniable. A month passed. It was some time in the afternoon when guards came to give Lance food and water, and something else.

"Lance McClain." The male guard whispered.
"Hello?" Lance asked back.
"My name is Thace. I'm here to break you out and take you to Keith. I'm with the Blades, you can trust me." Thace said this as he unlocked the door and put shackles on Lance. "Well say this is a prisoner transfer ordered by Sanda, got it?" Lance nodded his head, anything to be with Keith again.

They made their way through the halls, trying to stay as out of sight as possible. They had to use the transfer excuse a few times but eventually made their way to the medical wing Keith was being held in. Another Blade met up with them, wearing a Garrison uniform with a helmet to cover her face, Krolia. Thace took off Lamces shackles as they neared the wing. The two Blades flight the guards to make a path for Lance, who had a gun of his own. Lance looked through the viewing window to the medical room, and froze.

Everything hurt.
Everything always hurt.
Keith had no sense of time, but sometimes woke up to see doctors everywhere in the room. He was strapped down to a table, his muscles stiff from underuse.
He tried to fight, he really did, but he had no fight left in him.
Lance was who knows where, Keith was who knows where, and he never stayed awake long enough to come up with an escape plan.
It was hopeless.
Keith was hopeless.
In the end, when it really mattered, he couldn't protect the one he cared most about.
Couldn't save him.
Keith was useless, he was a failure, he deserved the pain he felt. 

Keith woke up, his eyes heavy and tired.
He was so tired.

A doctor walked in, but turned at the sound of commotion coming from the other room. It sounded like...fighting?Why would there be fighting? 
"Hurry! They can't take him alive!" Yelled the doctor who was in the door.
Keith lazily watched someone fumble with a needle and a bottle of liquid. They rushed over to Keith, jabbing the needle into a vein in the crook of his elbow.
Ouch.
This one hurt more than the others. A numb feeling started to settle over Keith, such contrast to the pain.
That's when he smelled it.
Smelled him

Keiths eyes were getting heavy again.
Darkness was calling him, beckoning him.
He was so tempted to go, so ready to sleep.
The numbness settled over Keith's body.
Before he closed his eyes, he said one word.
One name.
One thought.
The last thought to go through his head before he reached out to greet the darkness. 

"Lance."

Keith's eyes closed. Lance stood frozen.
He didn't remember walking to the door.
He didn't remember entering the room.
He didn't remember yelling at everyone to get out.
He didn't remember walking over to Keith's body.
But there he was, looking down at it.
At him.
At Keith. 

Keith.

Unmoving.

Stiff.

Cold.

Lifeless.

Keith.

Lance laid down next to him, wrapping his arm around Keith to rest on his chest.
His unmoving chest.
His chest that was supposed to be warm.
His chest that was supposed to have a heartbeat.
His chest that wasn't. Lance cried.
He cried and cried and cried.
He cried for his friend.
He cried for his partner.
He cried for his love.
He cried for his mate.
Lance laid there for hours, crying into Keith's chest, not caring who saw. Lance scented him.
Keith smelled like a forest.

Wild and free and mysterious and challenging and indestructible.

But eventually, all forests get cut down.

Trees that stood for hundreds of years fall with the swing of an ax.

Animals are killed and hunted, gone forever.

The forest floor is crushed and tramples underfoot.

And the forest becomes nothing more than a memory.

So yes, Keith smelled just like a forest.

And was nothing more than a memory now.

Maybe he and Lance could be memories together.

Lance was dragging away from Keith by unknown hands.
He fought.

He screamed. He cried. He lost.

Lance remembered it then. The gun. He took it out.
He wanted to see Keith again.

He couldn't live in a world without him. 

Lance heard yells, but they sounded distant as he put the gun up to his head.

One word.
One name.
One thought.
The last thought to go through his head before he pulled the trigger.

"Keith."

Darkness everywhere. A light, a figure, reaching out a hand. A hand reaches back. Light floods in, the figure visible. A smile. Violet eyes. A word.
Lance.
A second smile. Blue eyes. A second word.
Keith.

The Pure-Blooded Alpha.

____________________________________________________________

Word count: 1042

A/N: Thank you to everyone who's been reading this and made it this far. Means a lot to me. 

-TJ.