never really over

* 5 years later *

 The warm sun soaks into my skin as I watch Jacob teach Ephraim how to surf the intense waves that are crashing the shore. It's a rare sunny day here in Forks, and we are clearly taking full advantage. I smile and reach into the picnic basket next to me, pulling out the pre-packaged sandwiches we had packed up for our impromptu beach day. Jacob must have seen me doing this because he walks up, carrying our exhausted little five year old with him. 

"Did you have fun in the water?" I coo, pinching Ephraim's tiny little cheeks. 

"Yes, mama." He yawns, laying his head on my lap and almost instantly falling asleep. 

"Well, if the little one is tired, I guess that means he wont be needing his food." Jake chuckles, unwrapping the little ham and cheese sandwich. I laugh and take a bite of my own food. 

"Isn't it crazy?" I ask as Jacob slides his arm around my waist and pulls me into him as we watch the sunset over the roaring water.

"What?" He ask nuzzling his face into my damp hair. 

"This. Us. Our lives." I chuckle. 
"It's like all of the craziness is over." I conclude. 

"I don't think craziness is over. It never really will be. Maybe not psycho serial killer type things, but crazy is kind of an explanatory word for this whole blended family. But as long as we have each other, we can face anything." He assures me, planting a soft trail of kisses up my neck and to my earlobe. 

"I love you." I smile, looking over at that beautiful face of his. 

"Love you more, princess." He chuckles, cupping my chin in his hand and kissing me passionately. I never really believed in happy endings. But for once, here I am. Living mine.