Chapter 4: Normal Girl

Music pumped through the loud speakers in the hole in the wall club that Candace insisted we start our night at. I was under the impression that it would be just Candace and I tonight, but she and her husband were already on the dance floor not paying much attention to anything but each other. I can't blame them though. They are both so absolutely in love.

My mind drifted off to Jacob and I shook my head quickly as if to shake the thought away. It didn't work so I'd settle for the next best thing, alcohol. Another perk of being half human, I can get drunk. I shimmied my way through the thick crowd towards the old wooden bar. The bartender looked at me, glanced down, and then looked back up in shock. I was used to this type of reaction to my looks. It also probably didn't help that I was wearing heels and a short black dress, so my already unnaturally attractive features were heightened with the sultry look I had chosen.

"Can I just get a double-shot of the strongest thing you have back there." I smiled sweetly.

"Are you sure?" He stammered as he grabbed a dusty and aged bourbon bottle. "These shots are $40 each." He informed, looking as if he were already prepared to return the bottle to it's ancient slot behind the bar.

"Oh.. well in that case can I get two? And please, keep the change." I flashed him a brilliant smile and handed him a few hundreds. His eyes widened and he quickly poured the shots as he palmed the cash into his pocket. I smiled as his face lit up, I had clearly made his night. I'm not sure what he needed the money for, but I was just happy to help.

"I'll have what she's having." A velvet smooth voice came from behind me. I downed both of my shots and turned to see a tall man about my 'age' standing behind me. His eyes were a deep crimson color and he had well styled black hair and pale skin. I could see his defined muscles underneath his white cotton shirt. Not nearly as defined as Jacob's, but defined nevertheless. Another vampire, hmm. What are the odds?

"Yes sir." The bartender said as the tall stranger handed him a handful of cash. The bartenders eyes widened at the excessive amount of money he had just been given in a two minute time period. Yes, he is definitely having a great night. I smiled at the thought. Something about other people being happy made me happy.

"Something tells me those shots aren't going to do much for you." I broke the ice between the stranger and I confidently.

"Something tells me you might be right, but a man can dream of simpler times, cant he?" He smiled deviously as he downed both shots. He sat down at a more secluded section of the bar. "Would you like to take a seat?" he asked me, motioning towards the empty bar-stool next to him. I thought it through for a long moment but when I looked back for Candace I could not seem to spot her or Ty anywhere.

"I don't see why not." I shrugged, moving effortlessly towards the seat. I sat down and glanced inquisitively at the stranger beside me. "My name is Renesmee." I said, introducing myself, hoping he would follow my lead. I was strangely curious about this mysterious man sitting beside me.

"River." He smiled, reaching out to shake my hand. I felt drunker than I should have the moment our hands touched. It was like I was seeing everything through a thick cloud of smoke. Weird... I tried to fight the sensation but I couldn't. This River was actually quite attractive now that I thought about it. I've never seen anyone besides Jacob as attractive, but River seems positively mouth watering. Odd, this isn't like me at all.

I tried to clear my throat and clear these weird emotions out of my head. River smirked slightly like something was going perfectly according to plan, I just couldn't put my finger on what exactly he was playing at.

"You must be with the vampires that left a few moments ago." He said. Left? What is he talking about. I pulled my phone out and saw a text message from Candace.