Chapter 8: River's POV

I angrily punched the steering wheel as I accelerated onto the highway. I got a few angry honks and gestures but I could care less, I had a much more pressing issue on my mind. 

 How had the little freak continuously resisted my charms and manipulations? What makes her so different from everyone else in the world? It's like everytime I think I'm getting through her tough exterior, she pushes me away harder. I will be so happy when this is all over and I don't have to deal with her anymore. 

 I sped towards the city as the sun set behind the trees. I needed to eat. Real food! Not that repulsive animal blood that she swears satiates her thirst. I finally arrived in the packed city and parked on the side of a random street. I would just walk around until I found a victim. I got out of the car, stuffed the keys in my pocket and began to walk. 

"Ohh, River." A voice sang out from a dark alleyway. I froze in my tracks. Jane...

"Have you missed me?" She said in mock sadness. I sped into the alleyway at an inhumane pace, shoving her against the stone wall with a smirk on my face. She cocked her head to the side and I immediately knew it was a mistake. She laughed, slightly moving her head to the side and with just a pure thought, sent intense rays of pain throughout my body. 

"Arghhh!" I screamed, falling to my knees and cupping my head in my hands. "Stop! I'm sorry." I choked out as the pain seared through every fiber of my being. 

"Next time you should take careful consideration regarding who you are speaking to." She said softly, reaching out a hand to help me up. I hesitantly took it and rose to my feet.

 "Any luck so far? Personally, I think you're in over your head with little Renesmee. You may be used to your charms working on everyone else, but I suspect she's a shield like her mother, she just doesn't know it yet." She said with a smile. A shield. Hmm, that would make perfect sense as to why sometimes my powers worked and other times they didn't. I glanced at Jane. She wasn't wearing her cloak, just black jeans, high heeled boots, and a tight long-sleeved black shirt. Her blond hair fell on either side of  her face and her red eyes seemed to glow. 

"My charms work on you, don't they?" I teased, brushing my fingertips down her jawline. Her tough exterior broke and she laughed.

"I've missed you, River. More than you know. I don't like the idea of you getting so close to her." She breathed, running her fingers up my arm slowly. 

"The little freak is less interesting than a brick wall to me." I growled softly, pressing my lips against her neck. She sighed in response. 

"How much longer?" She grumbled, leaning her head back to let my lips reach her jawline. 

"Not terribly long. I'll get her when she's most vulnerable and bring her home to Volterra." I smiled against her neck. 

"And you'll come home to me?" She said trying to hide the hopefulness in her voice.

"Always." I mumbled, my lips finally reaching hers. She kissed me back passionately, wrapping her arms around my neck. 

"Promise me one thing." She said breaking the kiss. 

"Anything."

"Let me be the first to torture her." She smiled deviously. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips. 

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I promised, and began to kiss her again.