Chapter 10: Hopeless

I woke up to a dull pain coursing it's way through my bones. A small and strained groan escaped my parted lips as I pushed myself up with my hands. The ground beneath me was a mixture of stone and dirt, and the room was cold and dark with the only entrance being a set of bars that had to be unlocked and opened from the outside. I looked around trying to get my bearings. 

 I wasn't sure how long I'd been here, all I knew was that River had betrayed me and I was stupid enough to let him do so. I leaned back against the cold stone wall and pulled my knees up to my aching chest. How could I have been so naive? Anyone could've seen the red flags that radiated off of that monster, but I was just concerned with trying to see the good in him. I know now that you cannot see what does not exist, no matter how much you want it to. I've always wanted to believe that everyone had at least a sliver of good in them, who knew that my desire to see the good in everyone would be my downfall? 

"You have truly grown into an exquisite young woman." A voice whispered, emerging from the shadows on the other side of the thick iron bars. I immediately assigned the voice to Aro. We had met once before and that had almost turned into a war. There was no way I would have ever been able to forget his and the others voices, they quite frequently haunted my nightmares. I didn't speak nor did I look up from my knees, I didn't care to have some useless conversation with him. He was going to kill me and I knew it. Why would I have anything to say to him?

"You don't want to plead your case, young Renesmee? You don't want to ask why mother and father have not come to rescue their dear daughter?" He taunted. I could tell by the soft sound of his footsteps moving in a repetitive motion that he was pacing back and forth in front of my cell. He was enjoying this, and that angered me beyond belief. 

"I've broken no law!" I snapped. My voice was raspy and damaged, I truly sounded awful. But the fire in my voice was strong and powerful. I gazed up at Aro for the first time and unsurprisingly he looked the same as the last time I saw him, down to every single detail. He broke into a disgustingly large smile. 

"No need to get testy. I was only trying to make polite conversation." He put his hands up in mock surrender but I could see the bloodlust and evil behind his crimson gaze. I laughed in annoyance which caused his face to settle into an expression of anger. 

"Yes, polite conversation! Of course, you bring up my mother and father who you tried to kill and would've killed if you hadn't been such a scared little-" 

His booming voice interrupted me before I could finish. 

"YOU WILL WATCH HOW YOU SPEAK TO ME!" His voice bounced off of the walls but I refused to flinch. I would not let him win. I would be strong until the very end because if I held onto anything, it would be my dignity. 

"Jane. Come now. I think she needs to be taught a lesson." Aro grumbled, taking a step back. Jane emerged from the shadows and pulled the hood of her cloak down in an elegant and swift motion. Aro retreated back into the shadows and I was left alone with Jane. 

 The thing was, I'd never been scared of Jane. I pitied her in complete honesty. What a sad life to only exist as an object for the Volturi to use when they see fit. Deep down she just wanted to feel needed and would do anything for their approval. She was not free, she did not think for herself. She was just a sad little puppet. She was used to people fearing her and what she could do, but I was not scared. 

"You know, I wish you were your mother. I've waited a very long time to torture her. But Aro insisted on finishing off your family and your little wolf by himself. So you are the closest I will ever get." Her feathery voice floated towards me and my jaw clenched. "Oh no. I don't believe I was supposed to mention that your family has been taken care of. Oh well." She grinned widely. Tears welled up in my eyes and I blinked them away quickly. 

"Let's not forget her little friends that I had some fun with." River's voice came unmistakingly from beside Jane. I looked away, refusing to look at him. "No family, no friends. Just a sad little hybrid." He said with mock sympathy. 

"You two really deserve each other." I didn't recognize my own voice as I spoke but I'd realized I'd risen to my feet, adrenaline taking over. I made direct eye contact with River as I walked toward the bars. "You're both brainless and pathetic little puppets. You only exist to do what someone else asks of you. At least I had people who actually loved me." The idea of using past tense made my chest feel like it was being clawed open but I remained calm on the outside. 

 I could see Jane was struggling with something and getting frustrated. "Pain!" She screeched, her focus doubling. I felt nothing and cocked my head to the side in confusion. 

"Are you having a bit of performance anxiety? It's completely fine, I've heard that happens." I taunted, shifting my gaze towards her. Anger flushed over her face and she reached for lock resting upon the iron bars before River grabbed her hand and stopped her.

"No! You know that Aro wants to be the one to end her. It's okay." He squeezed her shoulder almost affectionately and pulled her up the stone stairs and away from me even though I could see the resistance and how angry she was the entire time. I couldn't explain why I hadn't felt her power but now was not the time to worry about that. I was finally alone which meant I could grieve the information I'd just been given. My family was gone...

 I fell to my knees and started to cry. I thought of the life I could've had if I had not complicated everything by leaving home. I thought of what my wedding to Jacob would've looked like. I thought of moving into his dad's home and helping him re-decorate it as it had been a dark memory since his dad had passed a few years back. I thought of us walking on the beach hand in hand, listening to the waves crash against the shore. 

"Jacob, I love you." I whispered.