Chapter 12: Breathe

I heard the heavy door atop the stone staircase swing open and I held my breath. This is it, I am about to die. I guess it makes sense, as I've already begun to lose my mind. I truly made myself believe that I had a conversation with Jacob. What a silly way to cope with the depth of the situation at hand. I flinched and kept my eyes closed as I listened to the visitor come down the stairs. Wait... Those footsteps sound different. Those are... oh my god.

 My eyes shot up in disbelief as I stared at the huge reddish brown wolf in front of me. His eyes seemed to glow warmly at me in the dark room. He sunk his teeth into the lock and ripped it off of the door. I sat still, in complete shock. Absolutely no way that; that's him. He disappeared behind a corner to shift back into his human form. I heard him pulling on his spare clothes that he always kept on him. Finally he emerged from the dark corner and smiled brightly at me. I stood up and sped to him, throwing my arms around his neck and weeping into his chest.  

 He held me tightly in those big and strong arms that I had missed for so long. He was right when he said our dynamic had changed. He wasn't like a brother or friend to me any longer. I loved Jacob in the deepest way imaginable. I buried my head further into his chest and inhaled his sweet scent. One hand rubbed the small of my back and the other gripped my waist tightly. 

"Shh, you're okay. But we need to leave now." He whispered, making sure to brush his lips against my ear as he spoke. My mind suddenly wandered to my family as I held onto him. 

"Is everyone okay?" I asked, scared of what the answer would be. I was thankful that he was supporting most of my weight in his arms because the pain of my injuries was making my ability to stand on my own waver tremendously. 

"Yes." He said and cocked his head to the side as if to listen to what was going on above us. He broke into a large smile and lifted me up in his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist. I heard a deep roar and a scream from above us.

"That was us winning." He smiled into my hair. I knew by the sound of that scream that it was Jane. 

"Please tell me that mom got to do that?" I said, humor captivating my voice for the first time in a very long time. He smiled back at me and nodded. He still had my legs around his waist as he looked at me endearingly. 

"Nessie, I can leave. I promise. I should've given you a choice and not made it out to be so predetermined." He frowned and I felt my chest squeeze. I held onto him tighter which caused a small smile to tug at the corner of his lips. 

"Jacob, I never want you to leave. I love you." I said staring into his deep chocolate colored eyes. "I am so sorry it took me so long to realize it, but I love you so much." I brushed my bruised fingers against his cheek and watched as tears welled up in his eyes. 

 Suddenly my back was against the stone wall and my legs were still wrapped around him. He leaned in smoothly and crashed his lips against mine. Warmth flooded through my entire body and it felt like all of my atoms were on fire. I kissed him back passionately, feeling a little bit of anger when he pulled away. 

"Why'd you do that?" I demanded angrily. He chucked and bit his lip. 

"There will be plenty of time for that later, but right now your mother and father are coming. I doubt you want them to see you all tangled up with me like this just yet." He had a valid point. He gently set me down and I yelped in pain. My broken bones were healing, but they were healing slowly. 

"How bad are you hurt?" He asked, alarm clear in his tone. He began examining my bruised face and feeling for which bones were broken. I nearly screamed when he touched my ribcage. 

"You'll be okay." He whispered, pressing his lips to my forehead. 

"Renesmee!" I heard mom yell as she ran into the small cell that I'd been locked in. She cradled me in her arms and held me close to her chest. 
"We are taking you home right now." She assured, kissing my forehead. 

"What did they do to you?" Dad asked with a pained expression as he looked over my injuries. I reached my hand out to him. I didn't want to say it out loud so it was much easier to show him. He leaned his head down and I pressed my hand weekly to his cheek. He gasped as he saw everything from the moment I left Forks until now. 

"Nothing like this is ever going to happen again. It's over." He assured me. I nodded and tried to keep my eyes open, but darkness surrounded me as I finally passed out from pure exhaustion.