Chapter 5: Calling Home

After a long and hot bath I dialed my mother's number into my phone. It rang twice before she picked up.

"Nessie, god. I've been so worried. I finally understand why your Grandpa Charlie used to worry about me so much." She said breathlessly.

"Grandpa Charlie still worries about you." I laughed thinking of Grandpa and how he still seemed to view mom as a teenager, although in his eyes I guess she always would be. I still regret not seeing him before I left.

"I'm just happy to hear your voice again." She sighed. "I understand getting angry, but don't take it out on us. You know that we all love you."

"I know." I held the phone to my ear as I opened the bag I'd stuffed clothes into and picked out a pair of cotton shorts and a sweater for bed. "I just needed time to think. I told you guys that." I sat the phone down as I got dressed.

"Well how are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine. I met another vampire tonight. He seems nice. He's interested in our 'diet' and so I was just going to show him the ropes tomorrow." I said as I grabbed the phone and crawled into bed.

"He?" I heard her ask suspiciously.

"No mom, I know what you're thinking and it's not like that at all. He seems to have been through a lot and I'm just trying to be nice." I laughed.

"Okay, but Ness... be careful. Not everyone has the best intentions. I know you know that, but as your mother it's my job to remind you of those things."

"I know mom." I said, but couldn't help letting my mind wander to Candace and Ty leaving out of the blue and how I didn't fully feel in control of myself when around River. Surely it's just me being paranoid though. And if I voice that to mom then she will just say something to make me worry even more. I'm a big girl and I can handle this. I'm not going to let my paranoia be my downfall.

"Your dad is dying to talk to you." She laughed.

"Hi, love. How are you?" Dad asked, taking the phone from mom instantly.

"I'm fine." I chuckled. "I know you heard me tell mom that I'm fine."

"I know, I know. I don't suppose that there is any chance of you telling us where it is you've run off to?" He asked hopefully but by the tone of his voice I could tell he was smiling and elated to just be speaking with me again. I couldn't help but feel guilty for not answering their calls sooner.

"Like I said before, I don't even know how long I will be here." I said, trying desperately to dodge his question. "Actually dad I'm really tired. I think I'm going to turn in for the night."

"Okay, your mother and I love you, Renesmee." He said before hanging up. I placed the phone on the nightstand and curled up under the thick blankets. As I fell asleep I found myself wondering how hunting with River would go.