CHAPTER 18 - SLEEPY GAMER

// ENOSHIMA HIDEOUT - WEST TOWER: OFFICE //

HAJIME'S POV – 11:53pm

Sitting on a couch inside the office the lady with bobbed hair and freckles took us, I was asked to wait here as they took Komaeda in a different room to treat his wound.

Everything felt surreal as I recall everything that happened few hours ago in the mansion.

- FEW HOURS AGO -

We barely escaped through the maze while getting pursued by the guards left and right, with the help of the lady with a bobbed hair and freckles. The police started arriving the scene, surrounding the place and apprehending the intruders. When we got into the car, the lady asked me to hold onto Komaeda at the backseat and press on the piece of cloth over his wound to prevent further blood loss.

I couldn't do anything but to follow her, despite not knowing who and why they were armed and running from the police. I can't really leave Komaeda at his state. She started up the car and drove off a path far from the police sight.

Looking at the blood on my hand, gave me flashbacks when I fired a bullet on the man's head...

'I killed him...'

'I killed someone...'

Despite the voices I repeating it in my mind, I was numb..

'Murderer...'

No remorse, nor regret... as if something clicked within me that time... and oddly familiar feeling.

The sound of the gunshot kept ringing in my ears.

'A well-deserved death...'

I only snapped back to reality when Komaeda snatched away the gun from me, as if he saved me from something that was about to overtake me...

I looked back to Komaeda's face growing paler on the car seat. My hand clenched the cloth tightly as I felt my heart heavy with worry and helplessness.

 I couldn't bear seeing him in pain. I felt a lump on my throat as it tightens, and my eyes starts to blur, eventually warm tears started trickling down my cheeks.

I could've prevented that...

'You saved me once again...'

'and yet..'

'It was my fault...'

 'If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have gotten shot...'