Chapter 21: Spying and Secrets

Perched in one of Scar's beautiful custom trees, Grian watched Scar walking through his village, a downcast stare on his face. The builder had felt a hint of guilt the first few times he'd done this; he knew Scar was worried about him. But now, several weeks had passed since he'd discovered he could be a parrot, and he didn't feel guilty anymore.

He'd been hiding out in the forest as a parrot, rotating between watching the others, flying through the trees, hunting for seeds, and napping among the leaves. It was a peaceful life, and it was a way to get away from dealing with anyone or anything.

Every week or so he'd reluctantly head away from the jungle to a random spot on the map and talk to one of the others. He always made sure to pick someone who wouldn't ask too many questions or get suspicious; Jevin, Iskall, and Zed had been his first three; and have a normal conversation, reassuring them he was fine and showing no signs of anything else. Zed, who he'd seen last week, had been slightly suspicious, but tucked away in his cave like he was, he hadn't noticed Grian's absence as much.

He didn't really like these talks, but he didn't want the others to think he was dead. He didn't know why, really; it would probably be easier, actually; but some small part of him felt guilty for leaving and didn't want the others to suffer like that.

Also, it'd be incredibly awkward if he accidentally revealed himself later and they had thought he was dead.

Grian just didn't want to be near the others. Everything was too much and he felt safe as a bird.

Grian's communicator buzzed and he tapped the band on his leg to check it. Everything very conveniently carried over when he was a bird; his communicator became a popup holographic screen activated by a band around his leg (very neatly covered by his feathers to become invisible, as well), his inventory somehow magically contracted... somewhere. Grian didn't tend to think too hard about it.

<Xisuma> Server meeting in two hours, just checking in!

Darnit.

Well, he'd almost certainly lose any chance to talk to someone who didn't know about his absence now. Maybe it'd be interesting, though.

Messages of "I'll be there" and "See you" flashed through the air, and Grian closed the screen. He hopped off the branch he was on and headed to the main island.

A parrot wasn't natural to the Shopping District's biome, but luckily for Grian the hermits did so much strange stuff that no one would question a random one roaming around.

Two hours later, most of the hermits were gathered outside the town hall, with a few exceptions; notably, Mumbo was late as usual.

The rest of the hermits arrived before long; Mumbo gasped out many apologies, but no one bothered him about it- it was his thing and it didn't matter too much anyway.

"Alright, are we all here?" Xisuma asked. The chatter died down and everyone turned their attention to the admin.

"All except Grian," Cleo told him.

"I think we might have to start without Grian," Xisuma said.

"What if he's gone again?" Mumbo wondered nervously, the edge of panic clear in his tone.

"He's not," Zedaph spoke up.

"How do you know-" Mumbo demanded.

"Mumbo, calm down," Iskall told him soothingly. "It's okay, Grian's fine."

"I saw him a week ago," Zedaph explained. "He was totally fine, just wanted some space."

"Makes sense given everything that's happened," False commented.