Chapter 2

Dedicated to Crybaby_Kadi

*******

"Isn't humble a tiny bit of an understatement?"

"It's honestly not that big, you should see the one I have in Chicago," he boasts.

Trust me I have seen every single one.

"You're very successful for your age," I state the obvious.

"I'm from old money," he answers the question I didn't ask.

"Oh. Anyway I should probably go. Enjoy your breakfast and have a wonderful day."

He takes a drink from his coffee, "Thank you."

I left him there, rounding a corner and bumping into someone.

A red liquid substance soaked my uniform.

"I'm so sorry," Courtney apologizes.

The blouse stuck to my skin because of the liquid and ruined the white parts. Great, "it's okay."

"Again I'm so sorry," she says again.

"It's fine. Really," I lied, "I'm gonna go change."

Stupid girl. I can't wait to get this mission over with.

**********

It was midnight.

I couldn't sleep, and not because I was up thinking about something or a certain someone but because at this time everyone in the house should be sleeping.

Everyone asleep equals time to install the cameras.

I threw the comforter off me, took up my bed slippers and a bag from my suitcase. Then tip toed from my room down the stairs.

It was dark, just the way I liked it. I hurried to the living hall and assessed which part would have the best view if someone was talking by the sofa or the piano.

The trajectory from the television to the sofas was perfect, and if I put it a little to the side of the television I would get a full view from anyone who was at the piano too. Beautiful.

I opened the bag and took out an earpiece and placed it in my ear.

"D, are you hearing me?" I whispered.

"Yeah," he responded.

I hurriedly place a tiny camera not bigger than my pinky fingernail at the side of the television checking the accuracy and the sound before taking up my bag and heading to the kitchen.

"Where's Molly?" I try to make conversation.

"She's home, Seth took her hours ago. She fell asleep programming something," he filled me in.

"Seth better not be playing Romeo, Molly isn't for him."

"You better be glad I'm eating Novikova," I heard Seth's voice in the background.

Derrick chuckled and I laughed.

"Noooo don't I'm scared," I humoured him.

I took out the other camera figuring out where to place it.

"Xayvion asked about you...." Derrick trailed off.

I stopped what I was doing and sighed, "I really don't want to hear it."

"Then I wont bring it up."

"Good, I'll have my report by the weekend and I want in on the--"

"Shhh," he cut me off.

"What--"

"Shhh, I'm seeing a heat signature on the thermal scan coming down the stairs," he said.

"Der'mo! (Crap)"

"Katarina get out of there," Derrick warned.

I packed the tools in the bag and pushed the bag in a cupboard.

"It's coming your way," he informed.

I took my hair out of the ponytail and let it fall over my ears. I turned, back facing the entrance of the kitchen.

The door opened.
The lights came on.

I jumped, feigning startled and turned to face the perpetrator.

"Mr. Rowell," I said surprised.
"I'm sorry I couldn't sleep so I came down for a glass of water," I explained.

"It's just Zion and I couldn't sleep either, my gut keeps telling  me something is wrong. Sorry if I frightened you."

I folded my arms, "yeah I scare easily and if your gut is telling you something follow it, things only seem okay until the truth reels its way through."

He strides closer, the angle of the kitchen lights hitting  his face perfectly making his jawline seem sharper.

"Well look at you being all poetic," he teases.

I smirked.

By now he was right in front of me. He leaned closer, nose almost touching mine and our breaths intermingled. I dropped my folded arms to my side. Smirk wiped off my face.

Then he reached up and opened a cupboard taking out a glass cup and headed towards the fridge.

That was mean.

I watched as he opened the fridge and took out the grapefruit juice Eloise made yesterday and poured it into the cup.

He drank it all, the excess dripping from the side of his lips. He wiped it with the back of his long sleeved pajama shirt.

"Well I have a long day tomorrow," he said putting the cup on the island.

"Yeah you should get some sleep," I encouraged.

"Good night Kate."
"Good night Zion."

He left the kitchen, closing the door behind him. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Are you okay?" Derrick asked from the other side.

I didn't even remember he was still here.

"Yeah I'm fine. I'll install the others soon, I just need a minute."

********

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Remember to vote
Comment what you think.