stars (gender neutral)

Looking out the window from Danielle's dimly lit room, cascades of light encircled her eyes in a truly spectacular display.

Despite being continually surrounded by stardust and constellations, she never got tired of looking at them. Her desire to join Star Academy was fueled by her never-ending brilliance.

Every single star looked more beautiful and brilliant from space than it did on Earth. Every planet she visited far beyond her wildest dreams.

Many of her nights were spent like this, with Danielle and you in your shared quarters, enjoying each other's quiet company and a special kind of intimacy.

The stillness was soothing; no words were required to express your sentiments towards the other. The capacity to coexist quietly and affectionately was impressive, and it exemplified the love you shared.

Danielle was prone to daydreaming. Danielle and you had ended up here, together, out of all the possibilities in this universe and across all of space and time.

You would normally read or listen to music while she glanced at the length of the quadrant passing by.

You'd never said it out loud, but you liked listening to her hum absently as she glanced out the window.

You never expected to have such a good time.

When she hears her lover move behind her, she expects you to get up and find another book to read for the rest of the evening, but instead you sit across from her and take her hand in yours.

"Hi." She stares at you and murmurs pleasantly. You're already staring out the window at the view beyond her window, and she decides to share this special moment with you by returning her gaze to the stars.

She treasures the feeling of your warmth beside her, your delicate aroma, and your hand in hers as the comfortable and personal moment passes.

"Danielle." Even though your voice is low and soothing, it manages to rip her away from her silent contemplation.

She notices the subtle intensity in your deep y/e/c eyes and smiles at you with a bright, unrestrained grin. Even it falls short of expressing the uncomplicated joy she feels right now.

Your lips curl and the corner of your eyes crinkle in a way that is generally reserved for moments like these.

"One of the things I liked most about my mother was her ability to love." You began talking unexpectedly

She repositions herself closer to you and gives you her whole attention.

"As a child, I was always trying to control my emotional tendencies. You helped me in regaining what made me human - whole."

"It would have been natural for you to dismiss me as cold and unfeeling when we first met.

It would have been easier for me to suppress my feelings for you when I realized I loved you than to confront the realities of a lifespan far longer than yours."

She feels inclined to open her mouth to speak after a beat has passed.

"We share what we do out of love. Now I understand why I should choose to share my life with the person who gives meaning to every moment."

"I ask you for many more years of your love and patience and promise the same in return. I ask for you to take me as your partner."

Danielle leans into you without thinking about it. Her hand strokes your face as she kisses your lips tenderly, leaving the two of you gasping for air.

She whispers into your lips.

"Of course, Y/n."

The moment was perfect.

Real, normal, and so fitting for the life you two shared.

Your love didn't always need to be spoken in love poems or expressed with flowers and gifts. It was in everything you do, everything you share.

Unspoken, and now eternal.