cute (female reader)

"Do you know if anything was taken during the break-in?" Danielle inquires.

The caretaker replies, curling her fingers together, "I do landscaping, check for graffiti, that kind of stuff. I've never been inside the building before."

Something about the way she says it is strange. Danielle looks at her for a few moments, allowing the awkward silence to stretch a little longer.

Kaylee coughs and clears their throat. Kaylee tilts their head to tell Danielle to turn around when she glances up.

A woman wearing a black fedora and an expensive-looking black suit stands nearby. She smiles and strides forward as Danielle stares. She is, without a doubt, the most attractive woman Danielle has ever seen (besides Kaylee).

"Could you please give us some space, Mam?" Kaylee says, "This is a federal investigation."

The woman's brows rise very slightly. "Oh. Of course, I don't want to be in the way." She takes a few steps back while still smiling. Her eyes are very y/e/c.

Danielle's concentration is jolted back to reality by Kaylees stinging kick to her ankle. She returns her attention to the caretaker. She asks inanely, "So you've, uh, never been in here before?"

"I just told you."

Danielle searches for a new question but comes up empty-handed. She casts a glance towards Kaylee. Kaylee sighs and rolls their eyes. She hands the caretaker a business card and says, "We'll be in touch." The woman smiles and walks away, relieved.

Kaylee sighs and stands up. Danielle follows suit. Speaking of suits, she needs a new one for this kind of thing. Hers has definitely seen better days. She toys with one of her cuffs as the woman approaches them again.

The woman says, "I'm Y/n Y/l/n. Which department do you belong to?"

Danielle tries to imitate your casual smile and responds, "We're FBI. This is Agent Kaneshiro, and I'm Agent Rose."

They all exchange handshakes. Y/n has a perfect handshake. Danielle can tell she smells good from this distance.

"It's nice to meet you," Y/n adds, sounding sincere in her platitude.

"Are you a customer of the deceased?" Danielle inquires. It's easy to imagine yourself as wealthy enough to purchase Gucci's extortionate rates for stolen products.

"Unfortunately, no. There are some beautiful pieces here. That bag alone... but you said, 'the deceased'? I thought the owner was missing."

Danielle sputters, "Well, uh, you see."

Thankfully, Kaylee interrupts her. "We really should be continuing our investigation. Nice to meet you."

Your eyes twinkle a little. Danielle didn't believe that eyes could do that in real life. "Can I see your id before you leave?" she inquires.

Kaylee shrugs as she glances at Danielle. What harm could it possibly cause? They flash their badges at the same time.

"Thank you," You say.

"Y/n!" A woman enters the room quickly. Her suit is a little outdated, but she wears it with pride. "You shouldn't go off on your own-oh, hello." Kaylee and Danielle get a nod from her.

"Agent Rose, Agent Kaneshiro, this is Jenny Boyd," You introduce.

Danielle already has her hand out to shake hands when you finish, "Of FBI's New York white collar crime division." She feels her friendly smile freeze for a second in shock. The real FBI are investigating a break-in? Why?

"I'm not familiar with you," Jenny says, "Either of you." Danielle breaks out in a cold sweat as she hears her voice tinged with distrust.

She pulls out a business card and says, "We're from the DC office. Feel free to call our supervisor." Ian and Paul will scold at them for getting mixed up with the real feds, there's nothing Danielle can do about it now.

Jenny takes the card and replies, "I'll do that."

Kaylee responds, "Well, we'll get out of your hair."

Danielle trips over her own feet a little, and you ease her out by placing one hand on her elbow. Danielle expresses her gratitude by saying, "Thank you."

You give her a bright smile. "Anytime." She has a beautiful set of teeth.

Once they're out on the street, Kaylee says, "What the hell was that?"

"Perhaps they were looking for something Matt had stolen?" They'd be taking their sweet time with it if they were. Matts been dead for months.

Kaylee sighs and rolls her eyes. "No, I meant... never mind, let's go grab some food, I'm starving."

Danielle isn't sure what Kaylee was trying to express, but now that she thinks about it, she's starving as well. She reaches into her pocket for her keys.

Her keys are gone. And her wallet. And her fake FBI badge.

"Uh, Kaylee? We may have a problem."