lucky (male reader)

As usual, Danielle woke up earlier than you in the morning. She removed the weight of your arm from around her waist and almost laughed when she heard you whine in your sleep. She waved her palm in front of your face to check whether you were awake or not. You were a light sleeper normally but in the confines of your own home, you were like a laid back overgrown cat. Danielle combed your fine strands of dark hair and heard your sigh of relief.

She strolled out of their bedroom wearing her navy blue robe and completed her morning routines quietly. River was sleeping when she peered into her chamber. She went into her room and gently shook her.

"River. Baby, wake up."

River, like her father, was a light sleeper who awoke after a few seconds. "Good morning, Mama," she said, rubbing her eyes with her little hands and looked at Danielle.

Danielle gave a gentle grin to her five-year-old daughter and said, "Good morning, little one. Get up . Today is Papa's birthday."

River leapt from her bed and grabbed Danielle's hand, dragging her to the kitchen to start preparing your birthday breakfast. Danielle couldn't help but grin as she noticed her excitement. Her looks were similar to yours, but her personality was similar to Danielle's.

Danielle made your favorite, tamales, as well as a few other Mexican dishes. River was looking at her with a smile of glee in her eyes. Danielle couldn't stop smiling at her adorableness.

"River baby, can you please go and wake up Papa?"

"Okay, Mama."

River walked into her parents' room with caution. She likes going into the room because it included numerous photographs of Mama and Papa.

When she spotted you still sleeping in bed, she frowned.

Slowly, she got up on the bed and sat beside you.

When you felt something, or rather someone, poking your cheeks, you groaned. You batted away the small hands from your face and went back to sleep. Wait. Small hands. That meant River was waking you up. You opened your eyes and came face-to-face to River. Her dark eyes were looking at you curiously.

She continued poking you and said in a sing song voice, "Papaaa~ wake up. Wakie wakie."

You glomped River in your arms to stop her from poking your cheek.

You heard her laughing heartily between your arms.

"Happy Birthday, Papa."

You groggily opened your eyes and looked at the calendar. On the 29th of December, a balloon was indeed sketched. You looked at River, who was looking at you, waiting for an answer.

You gave a sweet grin and said, "Thank you very much, River. Did Mama tell you?"

River nodded her head. "Papa, Mama told me to wake you up," she said quickly after recalling that her mother had requested her to do so.

"Okay."

You got out of bed and followed River to the kitchen. Danielle was singing a song under her breath as she worked in front of the kitchen counter.

River sat patiently in her chair, waiting for her breakfast, as you approached Danielle and wrapped your arms around her waist.

"Good morning, Danielle," you murmured as you laid your chin on her shoulders.

Danielle turned and smiled when she saw you looking at the refried beans and spanish rice. To catch your attention, she lifted her hand and placed it on your cheeks.

"Happy Birthday."

The only answer she received was your lips on hers. Wholeheartedly, she responded to your kiss.

"Papa, don't be dirty again and come here." River whined from her seat to get her parents' attention.

You chuckled at your daughter's reaction and moved away from Danielle after giving her a final peck on her lips.

"River."

"Papa, happy birthday. This is for you."

River handed you a box, which you accepted. River's enthusiasm and eagerness caught your attention, so you drew her into your lap and opened the box. Danielle was standing behind you, encouraging River with a smile.

You removed a picture frame from a box. Inside the photo frame was a family portrait, as well as the words "River loves Mama and Papa," written behind the frame. Kaylee took the same picture during a family get-together that year. You were aware that Danielle assisted River in obtaining the photo frame, but the notion was entirely her own.

"Papa, do you like it?"

You looked at her with soft eyes and said, "I love it. Thank you, River."

River looked at her mother excitedly and exclaimed, "Mama, Papa loved our gift."

You gave a tender look to your small family. You recognized how lucky you were to have a lovely daughter and the woman you loved. Danielle noticed your glance and knew exactly what you were thinking, so she reassured you by squeezing your hand.